*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/562736-F--SF-Assignment-2
by IdaLin
Rated: ASR · Book · Educational · #1322799
This is a home for my lessons for the A-1 Academy.
#562736 added January 23, 2008 at 1:39pm
Restrictions: None
F & SF Assignment 2
The questions in the reading were extremely useful in constructing a world in fantasy/sci-fi writing. In answering the questions posed in each of the seven sections, it helped to "flesh" out what I was dealing with in terms of the "reality" my story was taking place in. In answering the questions in the reading, these are the answers I am currently working with in my story. I say "currently", but who knows what my world may change into in a week (or an hour). *Laugh*

1. The World: Is this generally an earth-like world? Is it an "alternate Earth"? The world is basically the world we now live in. Some of the laws of physics may be stretched a bit, but it is basically our world.

2. Physical and Historical Features: How far back are there records or tales of historical events? How widely known are these stories? This is a fairly new phenomenon, but is gaining more exposure as the story unravels.

3. Magic and Magicians: Does practicing magic have any detrimental effect on the magician (such as becoming addictive, fomenting insanity, or shortening life-span)? If so, is there any way to prevent these effects? Are the effects inevitable to all magicians, or do they affect only those with some sort of predisposition? Do they progress at the same rate in everyone? Are they universal in all species, or are some races (dwarves, elves, whoever) immune to these detrimental effects? This was the most appropriate question of this series as it applies to my proposed story most relevantly. My problem is not magical, but mechanical. A alien life-form/propulsion system uses some force/fluid from humans to fuel themselves, and in so doing, causes a euphoria not unlike use of narcotic substances. Humans become addicted to the exchange and attempt to exploit the aliens, but as the aliens are more virus-like than anything else, they have built-in evolutionary mechanisms which will I believe cause some uproar.

4. People and Customs: What is the most desired/most valuable stuff in this society -- gold, jewels, drugs, money, furs, reindeer, etc.? Why is it desired/valued? Do different races value different things? Is there a race/culture for whom non-material things (information, time) are the most valuable things? How did they get that way? Again, this is the most appropriate question of those offered. Access to the aliens is the most desirable commodity. People crave the aliens' exchange substance, so there is a certain amount of vying for the stuff among people. Of course, if the aliens use up all of the force/fluid in any one human, the result is inevitably death of the human host. In light of this reality, certain groups attempt to regulate the venues of access to aliens. Obviously, the aliens don't care. An energy source is an energy source, but when some people are more profoundly affected by the exchange substance, things can get bad quickly.

5. Social Organisations: Where is scientific and/or magical research done -- universities, private labs, under the auspices of the ruler/government, etc.? This seems appropriate, as there are factions among government agencies that have disparate ideas about the aliens and what, or if, anything should be done with/about them.

6. Commerce, Trade, and Public Life: What do people at various levels of society do for fun? As the numbers of aliens colonists increase, the prevailing pastime for most people is becoming seeking and being used by the aliens for the "high" that results from the interaction.

7. Daily Life: How do ordinary people feel about foreigners? Non-humans? How ready are they to accept different ideas? How cosmopolitan are they? People have been exposed to a new alien life-form. They have an understanding of what happens when there is interaction, but it is not yet known what long-term consequences will result from the interaction. As the interactions are seen as positive by individuals, there may be undesirable social ramifications cropping up as time progresses and the aliens gain a foothold. The way the humans resolve the alien "problem" may be the most important thing they will ever do.
IdaLin
© Copyright 2008 IdaLin (UN: conniefs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
IdaLin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/562736-F--SF-Assignment-2