*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/567073-Dont-Panic
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#567073 added February 12, 2008 at 7:12pm
Restrictions: None
Don't Panic
Sis has been over from Saturday to Monday, so it’s been a hectic few days with not much time to spare for computers. We’ve had some laughs and some lighter moments, but time spent in La La Land tends to cause stress, as well as lasting for eternity. There is so much needs doing there nowadays it was a relief to share the load with sis for a short while.

Mum is reaching the point where it’s difficult to persuade her to get dressed, eat or attempt any activities. She still believes she’s capable of doing everything however and even travelled to one of the Channel Islands last weekend apparently. It’s best not to argue; better she goes places in her head than wander naked in the streets.

Seeing as she spends most of her time in pyjamas and dressing gown, sis and I decided to buy her some new ones in order to be able to wash the ones she seems to have been living in for the past month. We persuaded her to go upstairs to try them on, make sure they fitted and asked her to get dressed afterwards. After waiting an hour we were starting to worry about her, but on investigation we discovered she must have liked her new jim jams so much she’d decided to go to bed in them at three in the afternoon. So much for spending time with her beloved daughters. *Rolleyes*

Undeterred, we decided to tackle the other resident scarecrow. Like a lot of the elderly, dad is set in his ways and doesn’t like to be parted from his favourite trousers and antique cardigan. We’d purchased new trousers for him and asked him to try them on. He managed to come back downstairs in the new trousers, said they were fine and plonked back down in his chair. We quickly snatched his old ones to join mother’s things in the washing machine, (God forbid she ever finds out her clothes have mingled with his) hurriedly emptied the side pockets, then started the washing cycle.

After about five minutes dad shuffled through the kitchen and announced he was going to change back into his favourite trousers. When we informed him he wasn’t, as they were now revolving in suds inside the machine, his face turned the colour of the washing powder we’d just put in it. I’m surprised we didn’t have to call for an ambulance when he informed us his wallet was in the back pocket of the trousers. To say dad is frugal is an understatement; if he can save a penny a month he’ll change his gas or electricity provider. The thought of all his notes disappearing in pieces down the drain must have been the worst possible scenario of his eighty-eight years. Luckily we were able to stop the program, spin dry his wallet and hand him his laundered money. *Laugh*

Last night, as I sat chatting to friends on the computer, my tongue happened to locate something small and sharp protruding from my gum. Investigation confirmed a part of the metal implant screw in my jaw had decided it was bored and popped out to take a little look at the world. I spent a night tossing and turning, convinced the delinquent tooth saga will never end and the implant would be declared a failure. Finally I had to concede defeat when the building site noises started at seven this morning and get up to an unheated house and a harsh frost outside. (My dad's not the only frugal male in my family *Pthb*). A very unhappy bunny waited until the dentist was open before phoning to report the latest catastrophe, but he has assured me although it isn't ideal, it’s not uncommon and he should be able to sort it out at my next appointment in March. I suspect this may involve another long, tortuous session with the lovely Laurence’s silver hammer, but I think I’m beginning to show masochistic tendencies with my life lately anyway.

So there's been some more moments of panic and anxiety these last few days. I wish I could be more like my son. When I pointed out to him, amongst other things, Mey Ling will not now be able to take her English speaking class or any other courses due to her condition, he replied that as it seems likely she won’t be entitled to take them for another year, they may as well have a baby.

Sort of a case of a little something to pass the time then? MY GOOOOD.


© Copyright 2008 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/567073-Dont-Panic