*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/568243-MomDad-and-music
by spidey
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1207864
If you don't have a dream, how are you going to make a dream come true?
#568243 added February 17, 2008 at 4:56pm
Restrictions: None
Mom&Dad and music
I’ve always felt lucky with regards to my parents’ taste in music. I grew up listening to (and appreciating) classic rock. One memory in particular always stands out: My Dad and I shared a chiropractor and went a few times per week while I was in high school. Once on the way home, we heard the song “The Hurricane” by Bob Dylan on a classic rock station. When we got home, my dad got out the vinyl record and we listened to it together.

Dad was into Dylan & Floyd mostly, while my Mom was more of a Tom Petty & John Mellencamp fan. I remember hearing Black Sabbath’s, “Iron Man” blasted (because the beginning of it scared Traci, lol). When I was little, I thought Johnny Cash’s, “Boy Named Sue” was the funniest song ever. I lived on Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, etc. The first album I owned myself was Bruce Springsteen’s, “Born in the USA.” When I went away to college, I borrowed Floyd’s, “Wish You Were Here,” so often, my parents bought me a copy of the CD for Christmas.

So today when I was at my parents’ for a belated birthday dinner (and the best ice cream cake I’ve ever tasted!), when I said I was thinking of buying a Dylan CD but I wasn’t sure which one I should get, I truly appreciated my parents’ taste in music. My Dad gave me a stack of CDs to borrow.

I feel lucky to grow up with such great music. Sure, at times I couldn’t stand it and I wanted something different, but I tend to go back to the classics quite often. Who we are is often shaped by those who raise us. So don’t blame me for being a rebel! Blame my parents! *Pthb*

© Copyright 2008 spidey (UN: spidergirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
spidey has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/568243-MomDad-and-music