*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/570722-Precious-Gifts
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#570722 added February 29, 2008 at 12:44pm
Restrictions: None
Precious Gifts
It’s Mother’s Day in England this weekend, or Mothering Sunday as we more mature ladies prefer to call it. It used to be a simple, straightforward occasion when kids bought or made a card for Mum, picked a posy of flowers and maybe indulged in the luxury of a box of chocolates.

Nowadays, like everything else it’s big business. It seems no female can be left out and there are now ridiculously priced cards for grandma, mother-in-law, aunt, step mum, sister, daughter, wife, niece, mum-to-be, ex hubby’s mother, to the cat from her kittens, the dog from her pups and the budgie from her eggs. Then there’s the ‘You’ve been like a mother to me,’ ones just in case anyone’s been missed out. Maybe I should get one of those for hubby; after all he doesn’t approve of my friends, shouts at me and likes to decide what time I should eat or go to bed.

Why people are sucked in and prepared to pay double the price for flowers, pot plants, confectionary and meals in restaurants I don’t know. And why do record companies assume every woman would like a C.D. by Nat King Cole or Westlife for this auspicious occasion?

No, I shall be telling my son just to come over with a bottle or five and we’ll chill out at home. Anyway, Mey Ling wants us to set up the cam so we can grin and talk to her parents in Cambodia. Anyone know of any crash courses in Khmer?

As for my own Mum, well what to buy when she seems to have lost interest in everything and spends all day in her pyjamas, slippers and dressing gown? I guess pyjamas, slippers and a dressing gown might be one idea.

Generally I consider myself more of a giver than a taker and nothing gives me greater pleasure than finding and giving gifts to people I know will really appreciate them. But some folk are just plain impossible to buy for. Take my next door neighbour.

To say she’s not the most feminine of creatures is a gross understatement. So, that rules out jewellery, cosmetics, lingerie, perfume, hair accessories and beauty treatments. She lives alone and enjoys picking up bargains at charity shops, so she already has enough furniture, clothing and useless gadgets to supply a continent.

Her bookcase is about ready to topple over with the weight, so reading material is out and although she likes music, I’m not sure whether she’s progressed beyond vinyl and reel to reel tapes. She does have a second hand computer but as yet it has no plugs and she hasn’t got round to finding an internet provider to suit her frugal nature.

You might think then she’d need cash in hand but I’m pretty sure she could afford to save the planet single-handed if they could perform an operation to locate her cheque book. Yet despite this, she’s a likeable if a little eccentric soul and her gifts to others, although not always new or expensive are always thoughtful. So it’s a problem what to give her in return.

The only thing I know she really likes is the cartoon character Roadrunner. Over the years I’ve knitted, sewed, painted and bought every thing I can find connected with the character and am now out of supplies and ideas.

I wish I didn’t care, but I’m just not the type to give up and resort to unoriginal bottles of wine and boxes of chocolates. Some people don’t give a damn what they give as gifts and I’m sure we’ve all received presents which leave us scratching our heads.

The worst gift I remember receiving was an electric foot warmer. I may be cracking on a bit but I ain’t ready for hypothermia quite yet.

What’s the worst present you’ve ever received?

© Copyright 2008 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/570722-Precious-Gifts