*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/571202
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1155006
Peace marks the end of war; it does not mark the end of trouble.
#571202 added September 7, 2008 at 9:35pm
Restrictions: None
Avengers
The servants and mages took one look at Truth and scattered from her path. She strode to the office door, shoving it open without bothering to knock or curtsy.

"I must speak with you, Great Mage." Her voice sounded harsher than she intended.

But as if he'd expected her abruptness, Daylight calmly pushed all his books and papers aside and rose from his seat. He enveloped her hands in his.

"I received the news," he whispered. "I'm sorry. When I sent you, I had no idea that you would witness such a tragedy."

His words calmed her. Seraph never saw this side of Daylight, she thought.

"I will be all right," she said, smiling briefly. "Seraph is another matter. I have just brought him back to the Academy and put him to bed."

"Put him to bed?"

"Yes. It's such a shame. He was ready to side with us, but he collapsed after speaking to Maeryn's ghost. He's in no condition to lend any support now, and it's all my fault. If I hadn't sent Maeryn here, or if I had given her better protection—"

"Truth."

He firmly sat her on his chair and knelt before her.

"What's done is done. Seraph is the one we must think about now. Do you know why he collapsed? You said he had been able to summon a spirit beforehand, and I know that's difficult when the mage is truly upset."

"He was distraught," she admitted, "but it was what Maeryn said that caused the breakdown. She told him her killers were Easterners, who had help from a Western mage."

"What?"

"She didn't know who they were either, although she was able to give the first names of the Easterners. Seraph didn't recognise either name."

"What about the Western mage, Truth?"

"He wasn't with the murderers, but I'm sure he belongs to a rival faction. They would gladly use this setback to weaken your hold on power, to say that we cannot even protect past allies."

"They'd better not try," Daylight muttered darkly. "Find out what you can about this coward of a mage, but keep this information secret."

"Yes, Great Mage."

"He may mention something he shouldn't know." Daylight rose and glowered at the carpeted floor before looking at her again. "Anything else?"

"Seraph has been expressing doubts about the angel Caleb."

He sighed. "The boy has swallowed some of Ocean's diatribe, has he? Have you tried to convince him otherwise?"

"Yes. He remains sceptical."

She did not say that Seraph had planted the seed of suspicion in her too. She couldn't. More than anyone else, she knew how much strength Daylight drew from his faith in Caleb. Truth could not risk shattering him, especially when she had no proof of the angel's deceit.

"Well," Daylight said, "I suppose there is nothing we can do right now, but when he's recovered, I would like you to try again. It is imperative that all our allies support and trust each other, and these two in particular."

"Yes, Great Mage.

"I should also mention that Seraph has just gained the ability to prophesize."

"To—" Daylight stared and then roared with laughter. "You see? It's yet another sign from the heavens!"

"I don't quite follow," Truth admitted.

"In 1000 years of human magic, no mage has previously developed abilities in three schools. Two was rare enough! This can only be a miracle, and we must proceed with Angel Caleb's plan—once Seraph has sufficiently recovered, of course.

"In the meantime, I'd like you to investigate Miss Thatcher's slaying. It's the least we can do for Seraph and that poor woman."

"Yes, Great Mage."

Truth curtsied and left, her mind racing. Whether it came from Caleb or not, the plan had merit. Now that she was sure of Seraph's allegiance, she had to tell him of it soon, so she could begin preparing him for his role and for any possible backlash. Caleb himself was a different matter. She'd avoid mentioning the angel until she had proven or disproved Seraph's allegation.

Five doors down the hallway, she paused. That a Western mage planned Maeryn's murder had to be kept secret, but she knew she couldn't solve the case on her own. Truth needed help, and he was an ally. She knocked.

"Come in," Mage Brew called, and he nodded his head politely as she closed the door behind her.

"Truth, how can I help you?"

"I need information," she replied. "How many finder charms exist?"

"Twelve. How many do you need?"

"None. I'm here because one has been stolen and used in a crime, apparently by a mage. I need you to find out which one is missing, and discretely."

His eyes widened only briefly. "Hmm, I see. What should I do…the annual charm audit. It will be somewhat earlier than usual, but I would not be the first mage to want that chore out of my way. I will have the answer in a week or so."

"A week?"

The way the situation was developing, she wasn't sure they had that long.

"I'm sorry, Truth. Some of those charms are in faraway cities."

---

The wall, impregnable as dragon scales, loomed over the two men. Seraph had never seen the citadel before but, upon closer inspection, he recognized one person as Caleb and the other as Combustion. He called to them, but neither seemed to hear.

At the top of the citadel stood many more people, who shouted to the pair in unintelligible words. Seraph attempted to move closer, only to discover that he was frozen.

The discussion turned into an argument. Though still muffled, the voices grew louder and increasingly fierce until, all of a sudden, blinding light engulfed the landscape.

"
A shield!"

---

"I'm sorry, Seraph, what were you saying?"

The flight mage struggled to open his eyes and saw Fade. Close behind the Master Mage was Combustion, and beyond them, as erect and stern as ever, stood Din. Seraph tried to speak, but he felt as if he'd just flown across Sentralia and back. He'd never been so exhausted.

Fade patted his hand reassuringly. "Never mind. Would you like a drink?"

"A…shield."

"Pardon?"

"That's what…I said." He looked at Combustion. "Shuxue…don't go…to the citadel. A deadly light…"

Combustion and Fade exchanged worried glances.

"With your permission," the fire mage said, frowning, "I would like a week's leave, to track down Maeryn's killers."

Fade nodded.

"Don't leave!" Seraph rasped.

Strengthened by a sense of foreboding, the flight mage shot up, but his world darkened, and he sank back into his bed.

"Sleep, Seraph," he heard the Master Mage say. "Combustion will return soon."

Too worn to protest further, he allowed the darkness to envelop him.

---

Combustion almost ran down the stairs, intent on putting distance between himself and Din before his anger overwhelmed him. He strode into his room and shoved items into a bag.

That sound mage had a nerve! He had stood silently like a vulture, offering not the slightest comfort or help. And then, after seeing Seraph's distress and confusion, he could say nothing more than that the flight mage had obviously become insane and had to be replaced. Even patient, kindly Fade had snapped at that point.

Finished with packing, he slammed his door shut and marched out, rage growing with each step.

Din wouldn't have his way just yet. As Fade had pointed out, Chinze had proven capable enough; she could teach Seraph's other students while he recovered. With Combustion's new assistant in charge, the library would be fine as well.

But Seraph…

Combustion stepped into the harsh sunlight, and abruptly stopped.

Caleb stood right in front of him. For a moment, Combustion considered frying the angel, but he pushed the temptation aside.

"Mage Combustion," Caleb murmured.

"Caleb," he replied, his voice cold enough to make the angel shudder. "I see you've failed to keep your promise. Would you like to see how 'Maeryn's little brother' is faring?"

Caleb looked away. "No, and I have no excuse. I simply wish to make amends by capturing the murderers."

"Good luck," the fire mage snorted. "The Easterners don't regard you as highly as they used to."

"Which is why I need your protection—and your sharp mind."

Combustion considered the request. Caleb's presence was always unwelcome, but he seemed sincere for once, and if Combustion failed, he'd always wonder if he were wrong to have rejected the angel's help.

He glared at Caleb. "Have it your way, but don't slow me down."

---

"Truth! It's been a while." Seraph bounded away from his desk and towards the doorway.

The aura mage winced. "Four days, in fact. Sorry I took so long to check up on you. I'm glad to see you active again, considering…" She left the rest unsaid.

His grin slid away. "I will always grieve," he acknowledged, "but I've decided that my sister is in a better place now. She is at least at peace. I'm more anxious for those who may yet be harmed by her murderers, and I'm just as worried about Combustion and Caleb. Do you know where they are? I had an awful vision in which—"

He stopped and stared at the balding stranger behind Truth.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, looking back, "I'm sorry, I should have introduced you two earlier. Brew, this is the Mage Seraph. Seraph, this is Mage Brew, a senior charm mage. Don't worry," Truth added as the flight mage flinched in alarm. "He is an ally."

Brew clasped Seraph's hand. "I have always hoped to meet you, although under better circumstances. My condolences."

"He is helping us find Maeryn's killers," Truth added.

Seraph at last relaxed. "Thank you."

"I have in fact made progress on that front," Brew said.

Seraph's heart immediately filled with hope, and he gripped the charm mage's hand. "That's great—"

Brew held up his other hand. "However, it's best that you first listen to what Mage Truth has to say."

"Huh?"

Truth nodded. "I've informed the Great Mage of your prophecy magic. He has interpreted your development of a third power—and at such a young age—as a miracle, and you will therefore be proclaimed as his successor."

Seraph blinked uncomprehendingly. Then, as the implications set in, horror swept over him.

"That c-can't be!"

"Of course it can," Brew said. "Such an announcement would take the wind out of those rebels' sails. I'm sure most Easterners would accept Daylight's rule if they knew the next Great Mage would be one of their own."

"But—" Seraph began.

"And we Westerners could hardly deny such a talented mage, especially if you promised to treat us leniently. In fact, it may be more dangerous for us to ignore you."

"But I'm too young!"

"Daylight was only ten years older than you when he became Great Mage," Truth said. "Your youth is actually an advantage, since every other contender is unlikely to outlive Daylight. You may not be ready now, but we will ensure that you gain the experience and knowledge you need long before ten years have passed."

Seraph shook his head, searching for a convincing reason. "But…do you remember when you said that good leadership is more than just correct decisions? Sentralia needs someone with vision, charm, determination and, um…"

"Optimism and courage." She sighed, rubbing her temples. "Please don't do this to us. Every Sentralian needs you to fulfill your prophesized role, and you already have most of these leadership qualities."

"I do?"

He'd never heard that before.

"You have a vision of a united and peaceful Sentralia and the determination and courage to confront those who sowed division within the Academy. Yes, your optimism has been battered, but you haven't given in. As for charm, this can be learned."

"Oh," Seraph said, but he knew he sounded sceptical.

"There's more, isn't there?" Truth prompted. "Out with it. Why don't you want the position others have competed and lied and fought over?"

No one had ever said that either, he realised, and he knew why. It was because he hadn't found the courage to object to such expectations before, and now that he'd found it, he had to answer something he never considered. Why did the promise of huge power and prestige always trouble him? He leaned back against the wall, and as he gazed at the other two mages, he thought of Maeryn.

"I don't deserve it," he said. "As Maeryn has said, I'm only a boy who happens to have a gift. Except in my flight classes, I was an unexceptional student. Any of my teachers would tell you that. Then, during the Mage War, I killed innocent people before running away from the invading force like a coward. I was so frightened I would have remained in Sudenland if my family weren’t taken hostage. Why would you trust me with a nation?"

To Seraph's surprise, Brew laughed. "It does seem foolhardy, doesn't it? Look, we do not know why you were chosen, but you wouldn't have the gifts you have if you weren't."

"We have faith that the angels chose you," Truth said, "and you are not the callow boy you were. That's why we forgave you and offered you a second chance. Now you must forgive yourself and embrace the angels' will, if not Caleb's."

For a moment, Seraph thought he saw Brew raise an eyebrow, but when the charm mage said nothing, he turned his attention to Truth.

Forgive oneself. Seraph doubted that he deserved forgiveness, but if it could save everyone he cared about…

"You're right. I'll follow Daylight's lead," he said.

"Good," Brew said. "Now for the other matter. I have worked out which charm was used to stalk Maeryn. It was the one in the Academy."

A chill rushed through Seraph's spine. "Wait. That means—"

"The mage involved either lives in this campus or is a high-ranking official. No one else has access such heavily protected charms. Be careful, Seraph. The real target may be you, and you'll be in even greater danger after the Great Mage makes that proclamation."

Seraph closed his eyes. And what of Combustion and Caleb? Did they even have a chance?

---

The wall, impregnable as dragon scales, loomed over the soldiers. Combustion clenched his fists. He and Caleb had uncovered Maeryn's killers only to lose them within the citadel of Solana, and worse, the Easterners there had imprisoned several Western travelers. Rescuing the hostages would be very difficult, even with help from Midlands' soldiers.

"Horrible circumstances," Cat said.

"Yes."

He knew she hadn't come to engage in small talk with him.

Cat took a deep breath. "Listen, these people know of my abilities, so I'll be of little use here."

Combustion nearly rolled his eyes. "What's your point?"

"My tenure is to end in ten days, and I'd like to survive to see my husband and children again. I know I'm being selfish, but could you take over?"

"I don't have ten—"

"My replacement will probably arrive in two."

Her eyes begged him, and he knew he couldn't say no. He sighed.

"Give my regards to your family, Cat."

She smiled in gratitude. "And give mine to your boyfriend."

"Seraph. And I. Are just friends!"

She laughed, playfully dodging a swipe. "Well, that's an improvement. Last time, you said that you weren't even friends. Thanks, and goodbye."

He watched her until she disappeared behind a group of soldiers.

"Shirking her responsibilities I see," Caleb said.

The angel had snuck up on Combustion.

"You're no better," the fire mage retorted.

Caleb ignored the rejoinder. "Fortunately, she is not the mage Solana's mayor wishes to see."

"Oh?"

"Mayor Hillman has sent a message. He'll negotiate with the two of us only, and he wants to see us now."

The angel began walking to the fortress, and Combustion followed.

"Anything else?" he asked.

"One more thing. He says that he holds 33 hostages, including children and Mage Din's oldest son. They are unharmed, or so he claims, but that may change. You must be careful when dealing with him."

"Of course," Combustion said sarcastically.

He huffed as he tramped after the angel. Caleb was the one responsible for the killers' escape. He'd been too impatient to wait until Combustion could lure Dean and Kelby into a trap, and in the ensuing mayhem, other rebels had spirited them into Solana. He should have left Caleb…

"That's far enough!"

Combustion looked up in surprise. He and Caleb had come very close to the immense wall. Above them, dozens of rebels stood ready to defend the citadel. The mayor, he surmised, would be among them.

Caleb pointed up to the man in rich, shimmering robes. "Are you Mayor Hillman?"

"Obviously," the mayor said, as if to a dull child. "Nice to see a little more sense in you for once. Now, you will pass our demands to Daylight and his minions. We want pardons for Kelby Hillman and Dean Brown, and also official condemnation of Miss Thatcher's actions both during and after the Mage War."

"What?" Combustion asked incredulously, but Caleb motioned him to silence.

"And will you then release the hostages?" the angel asked.

"32 of them, yes."

"What of the 33rd?"

The mayor smirked. "Din's son will go free upon Daylight's abdication."

Combustion started to protest again, only to be cut off by Caleb.

"The Great Mage has no intention of retiring, but I believe a deal remains possible. If the Master Mage were to pass his position to Mage Seraph—"

"That decrepit, old man?" Mayor Hillman snorted. "He's already as good as dead. No, it's the Great Mage we want; only an Easterner may sit on that throne."

"But this is against the angels' will!"

"Nonsense!" a voice rang.

Kelby stepped forward, and Combustion gave an involuntary hiss. The fire mage had been only metres them before Caleb intruded, close enough to hear their boasts.

"Why do you continue pretending?" Kelby shouted. "We all know of your deception!"

Caleb's face drained of colour. "What?"

"You're not an angel," Dean said. He held up a weeping, little hostage and placed a dagger against her throat. "I'm sure you're a form mage. I will count to five, and if you haven't shown us your true form by then, this girl will die. One."

Combustion considered burning Dean's hands, but he quickly abandoned the idea. The child was likely to fall to her death if her captor released his grip. Even if she didn't, one of the Easterners might harm her in retaliation. He turned to Caleb.

"Do something."

"I cannot," Caleb whispered. "My powers were stripped from me."

"Two."

"You called Nahum to you before!"

"That was his magic, not mine, and they have not responded since then. I'm on my own."

"Three," Dean called. "Don't you want her to live?"

"Try something!"

But Caleb made no further response. Combustion looked up.

"What about you?" he yelled at Dean. "Can't you hear her crying? She's only ten or so!"

About Sara's age.

"She's a Westerner. That's all I care about. And you've meddled too much in things that don't concern you. Perhaps I should punish you for that."

The blade twitched, nicking the child's neck, and rage coursed through the fire mage. He reacted almost without thinking.

"Combustion, don't—"

Caleb's warning came too late. Combustion knew he'd made a mistake as soon as he released his fury. It exploded over the citadel, almost blinding him and causing the earth to spasm. His legs pulled out from under him, and Caleb dropped onto his hands and knees as chaos raged all around them. Rocks and other debris crashed through the landscape, tossed by the roaring wind. Fire flared across his limited vision. The fire mage covered his head as fragments of a fortress thundered down, expecting to be crushed at any moment.

But nothing struck them, the air began to settle and, after an eternity, Caleb stood and said, "It's over."

Combustion started to rise, but at the sight before them, he fell to his knees. The hill, on which grass had thrived mere moments before, was now ashen. Hundreds of scorched stones, and shriveled, charred corpses littered the landscape, filling his nostrils with the most awful smells. Even the clouds were deformed. The only part he recognized was a grassy area only a little larger than that covered by the angel and himself.

Caleb shook his head sadly. "You should have left sooner, Furan."

"What—" he swallowed. "What happened?"

"Dangerous magic, new to humankind. You just had to be the first to exhibit it."


© Copyright 2008 Ariadne (UN: ariadne25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ariadne has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/571202