*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/572654-Against-the-Odds
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#572654 added March 9, 2008 at 7:31pm
Restrictions: None
Against the Odds
Another visit from sis over in the blink of an eye with highs and lows, confusion in La La land as usual and a few unpredictable events. One being sis not feeling well last night and having to retire to bed well before our usual wee small hours staggering giggle up the stairs.

Another came as quite an unexpected shock to the system. I actually found myself riveted to a football match on television. *Shock* For the last five minutes I was perched on the edge of my chair twitching and willing the referee to blow the final whistle. Something I've not done in years.

Why? Our F.A. Cup matches are generally dominated by the creme de la creme Premiership teams; overpaid, over-publicised and over the top in every way. Last night one little second division (now called championship I'm reliably informed) team knocked out the holders of the F.A. Cup - Chelsea. Last round they dashed the hopes of the mighty Liverpool.

I doubt many reading will ever have heard of a little South Yorkshire town by the name of Barnsley. I imagine Barnsley Football Club is unheard of by most people on this site. But Barnsley to me is a special place and part of my history and I'm delighted to see this football team going forward to Wembley for the semi-finals of the F.A. Cup. I hope they'll go all the way and hold the trophy aloft.

Why? Because we Brits love the underdogs in sport, be it football, tennis or tiddlywinks. And because I spent three years of my life training to teach at a college in Barnsley and sometimes went to the football matches there, in the days before football became big business and corrupt.

I remember the day I went for my interview at Wentworth Castle College in Barnsley. It was a beautiful, sunny day and the castle stood gift-wrapped in spring sunshine and future optimism. My interview went well and I was offered a place on the course. I walked away elated. As I crossed the courtyard a sing-songy voice from one of the third floor windows interrupted my thoughts.

'You'll be soooooorry.' It simply stated.

I smiled, continued walking and thought nothing of it.

Now, years later I go to reunions at the College and appreciate the history and beauty of the building and its surroundings. At eighteen I did not.

She was right. Had I stopped in my tracks, turned and maybe chatted to the bearer of the warning I may have changed my mind about accepting that placement. It would have altered the whole course of my life and I have to admit I think things may have turned out better.

But no good going down the 'what if' road. I'm not sure if things happen for a purpose or not but Barnsley will always hold a place in my heart for various reasons and I'm so chuffed their football team is enjoying some notoriety.

So what about you? Were you ever offered some advice from family, friends or even strangers you wish you'd heeded?

© Copyright 2008 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/572654-Against-the-Odds