*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/573792-Is-baptism-by-water-necessary-to-salvation-And-other-stuff
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#573792 added March 15, 2008 at 2:32pm
Restrictions: None
Is baptism by water necessary to salvation? And other stuff.
That’s a question people have been debating for centuries. Those on each side of the argument are adamant their point of view is correct, and they each have the scripture to back it up.

On the side of baptism being a requirement:

Matthew 3:13-15: “Then Jesus went from Galilee to the Jordan River to be baptized by John. But John tried to talk him out of it. ‘I am the one who needs to be baptized by you,’ he said, ‘so why are you coming to me?’

“But Jesus said, ‘It should be done, for we must carry out all that God requires.’ So John agreed to baptize him.”

Mark 16: 16: “Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned.”

Acts 2:38: “Peter replied, “Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.”

Acts 13:24: “Before [Jesus] came, John the Baptist preached that all the people of Israel needed to repent of their sins and turn to God and be baptized.”

Colossians 2:12: “For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead.”

On the side of baptism being unnecessary:

Mark 1:4 “This messenger was John the Baptist. He was in the wilderness and preached that people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven.” This could be used to prove both sides of the argument, but notice the word should instead of must. Also, it states that baptism shows they had repented, not that baptism was required for forgiveness.

Mark 16: 16: “Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned.” You may wonder why I use this scripture for both. Simple. The last sentence does not say anyone who refuses to believe AND be baptized will be condemned.

Luke 3:16: “John answered their questions by saying, ‘I baptize you with [ Or in.] water; but someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to be his slave and untie the straps of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. [ Or in the Holy Spirit and in fire.]’”

Acts 8:14-17: “When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that the people of Samaria had accepted God’s message, they sent Peter and John there. 15 As soon as they arrived, they prayed for these new believers to receive the Holy Spirit. 16 The Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them, for they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John laid their hands upon these believers, and they received the Holy Spirit.” Another example that can be used to prove both sides of the argument. However, Peter didn’t baptize the believers with water, but laid hands on them instead.

So which is it? Must I be baptized with water in order to receive salvation?

Since there are scriptural references going both ways, I turn to what I know about the nature of God.

There are many churches such as the Salvation Army who don’t believe water baptism is a requirement. Does that mean every member of the Salvation Army is doomed to Hell?

What about the countless children who didn’t live long enough to be baptized? Does God send them directly to the fires as well?

If God is love, I suggest not, any more than my parents would permanently turn their backs on me because I refuse to shower.

I also have never been baptized, nor do I anticipate ever doing so. Is my soul in jeopardy though I’ve given it and my live to God, and asked forgiveness of my sins through the blood of Jesus Christ? If I am to die without a minister or preacher pour water over me, is my entire life a waste?

I’m willing to acknowledge I perhaps test God by not being baptized. But I also trust in God’s love enough he won’t hold it against me. As Mark 1:4 said, baptism is an outward expression that we have repented of our sins. It comes after we accept salvation, not before or even during. I show through my other actions I have accepted Jesus as my savior.

It’s baptism of the Holy Spirit that matters.

Why then is Thomas going to be baptized tomorrow? Does that make me a hypocrite, or at least uncertain as to my belief, willing to jeopardize my soul, but not my son’s?

No. As Mark 1:4 said, baptism is an outward expression of what’s already taken place in the heart and soul. Dave and I wish to show our friends and family that we will raise Thomas to learn about and (hopefully) accept Jesus as his savior for himself.

That’s what baptism means to me.

Change ‘o subject!

I played around with creating my book cover over the last few days.

This is my first idea:

Proposed book cover idea 1

I like it, but it doesn’t quite fit a science fiction novel. I would expect to see something like this in the literary fiction aisle. I’ll keep it though. If I ever write a literary fiction novel, or even a memoir, this might come in handy.

I gave it another try.

I was at first going to use something from my many clipart collections, but then feared I might be violating a copyright. After reading the fine print, I discovered my collections all state the artwork belongs to them. I have free use of it, as long as I don’t seek to make money off of them. Using it on a book cover I intend to sell would be considered a copyright infringement, I’m sure.

I had to come up with something unique and all my own. I must admit I’m a bit surprised how well it turned out:

Proposed book cover idea 2

‘Nother change o’ subject!

I was feeding Thomas last night, and I noticed he was making funny noises, and his eyes were bright and squinty as though he was very happy about something. I removed the bottle from his mouth, and sure enough he was grinning. And then he laughed. And laughed. It was still a bit breathy, but most definitely a laugh. It lasted long enough Dave took a few 5-10 second videos from my digital camera of it. The videos turned out so dark we could barely see him. You can hear him, though. I’ve watched the videos at least a dozen times now, and I still giggle. These constant milestones of Thomas’s growth – however tiny – are a blast to watch.

Lastly!

Special thanks to zwisis for the merit circle:

Merit Badge in Opinion
[Click For More Info]

If you ever doubt your voice read the description on both your Opinion badges. I am proud to give this to a lady who writes beautifully and presents her point of view in a clear, concise and respectful manner.

I’ll try to be opinionated more often *Bigsmile*.

© Copyright 2008 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/573792-Is-baptism-by-water-necessary-to-salvation-And-other-stuff