*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/574763-Evacuation-continued
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1364628
My blog of fun, love, frustrations and me.
#574763 added March 20, 2008 at 2:42pm
Restrictions: None
Evacuation continued
Since I stopped before finishing the story, I figured I'd better finish it.

Lebanon Evac 06'

I guess I was most amazed by all the people that decided they should have preferntial treatment, and began handing their children forward. The US Marines had no other choice but to let those parents through, taking cuts in front of those of us who were in line at 5:30 in the morning. By 1pm, in the hot July sun, with Z sick as a dog and ready to pass out, we managed to make it to the front of the line. Because of all the pushing, shoving, shouting, swearing, and other things that happen when you are exhausted and in a panic, Z decides he has to sit down, no matter what. The Marines step back. We are single file because D is so little, that he is getting crushed. Z in front, D in the middle and I am bringing up the back. At 1pm, a woman begs me to look after her grandson...who is 6' at least. In my mind, the guy is like 21, what does he need me for? Z makes it through to the other side......but D gets shoved back, and they close the line. We are stuck. D begins to cry, scared out of his mind that he will never see his brother again. I start screaming, yelling at the Lebanese and US soldiers to let us through....and yes, I used my terrified son to do it. I made them look at him crying beside me, told them he thinks he'll never see his only brother.....and they let us through, taking D's suitcase from his hands, and were so wonderful to him. They assured us that Z wouldn't go anywhere without us, and that we'd find him again. Z was lying on his suitcase, 20 feet inside the "safe zone". D was totally relieved, as was I. We thought, great we can relax now, but NO. There were more lines to stand in, more pushing and shoving. As we crossed into the safe zone at 1:30 in the afternoon, Ahmad was screaming my name. He'd been waiting to learn that we were truly leaving that day. I assured him that I'd call soon and let everyone know that we were fine, but getting a phone wasn't an easy thing. From this point on, there would be no communication with Lebanon, or America for the next 36 hours.

to be continued...

TTFN

© Copyright 2008 Purple Celebrates (UN: purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Purple Celebrates has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/574763-Evacuation-continued