*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/574858-Renaissance-Man
Rated: XGC · Book · Biographical · #1375962
My new blog
#574858 added March 21, 2008 at 4:50am
Restrictions: None
Renaissance Man
I was talking to a friend once, and I was discussing the phenomenon of "Fairy Rings", which were once thought to be gateways to the Fairy Land, and are caused by fungal colonies growing in a circular pattern. I don't recall exactly what her response was, but the general meaning was that by being interested in the "natural" causes, I somehow lost sight of the beauty and wonder and mystery of the phenomenon, and the lack of spirituality to it. I was confused by how she misinterpreted my thoughts.

Similarly, it confuses me how so many people on this site (and just, you know, in general) seem to shy away from science and mathematics because they are "artists". And they seem to think that because I am interested in Science, it somehow means I am less interested in art.

Here's the thing...I like to consider myself a Renaissance Man. Somebody in the tradition of Leonardo Da Vinci and Benjamin Franklin. Yes, I am a man of science, but I am also an artist, a philosopher, a man of spirituality. I am interested in politics, psychology, history. Although I personally find most organized religion to be distasteful, the subject holds much interest for me. Although most modern sports bore me, the underlying principles of athletics interest me. Even war holds an academic interest for me.

I was reading recently about Richard Feynman. He was a scientist, a physicist. His artist friends would look at a flower and say "it's beautiful," and he would agree. They would then say "as an artist, I can appreciate the beauty of a flower. But you, a scientist, can only see parts put together. You can't appreciate the simple beauty of it." Aside from being presumptuous and rude, it's also inaccurate. Feynman would always say, and I agree, that a knowledge of the science behind the world does nothing to diminish the beauty of it, but only enhances it. It's true, I don't see the simple beauty of it; I see the intricate, complicated beauty. I see the perfect radial symmetry, creating a funnel shape, designed to allow pollen to collect in the center. I see bright colors, to reflect sunlight into the center, and to attract pollinating insects.

With flowers, as with people, beauty is more than just how nice it looks. There's more to it than that. The bright colors, the pleasant smells, the warm sunlight, these things are the clothing of nature. Science is nature's soul.

Feynman said: "To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in."

Well put, Dr. Feynman.

© Copyright 2008 Silver is 2 to the 5th Power (UN: movieman894 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Silver is 2 to the 5th Power has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/574858-Renaissance-Man