*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/575281-What-Hurts-Most
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#575281 added March 23, 2008 at 5:08pm
Restrictions: None
What Hurts Most
Needles never bothered me.

Oh, sure, I cried when I first remember receiving Penicillin shots in both my butt cheeks to help alleviate my tonsillitis. I used to get it every year, so I anticipated those shots. The last time I had to get the shots was the first time I didn't cry. Go figure.

Though they hurt, they didn't bother me, if that makes sense. They still don't. Whenever my blood gets drawn or need a shot for something, I actually enjoy watching. I'm sure I wouldn't feel that way if I didn't have such good veins. Rarely has a nurse or doctor have to try more than once to stick me in the right spot.

The only exception was when the nurses tried to give me an IV for Thomas’s birth. Apparently the veins in my hands are squirmy, and I have a lot of little valves that it took them four tries to get it in.

Still it didn't bother me. In fact I teased the nurses about it. Was that mean of me?

Though I didn’t see the needle, I felt it go in my back for the epidural. Granted I was already a bit drugged up with a painkiller called Nubane (I think), but before going in I knew I would handle it okay.

I never thought a needle would bother me until now.

Thomas had a follow up doctor’s appointment on Friday. They checked is weight; he gained 2.5 pounds in the last month putting him at 11 lb, 6 oz. He also grew an astounding 2.5 inches as well making him just shy of 24 inches. He’s a little weed that one.

The doctor was also impressed at how well he’s holding up his head, moving his arms and legs and how alert he is.

He also received his first vaccinations. One was oral, which he seemed to enjoy, but the other three were shots in his thighs, two in one leg, and one in the other.

I watched the nurse stick him as I held his hands so he wouldn’t squirm too much. She was very quick about it. I was fine until he screamed in pain, his face turning red and tears filling his blue eyes. After she put the Band-Aids on I held him close. He didn’t cry long, thank goodness.

The doctor recommended we give him children’s Tylenol for the pain, which we did first thing when we came home. It seemed to do the trick.

For a while.

He cried a lot that night, more than usual, and I could tell it was a pain-filled cry. I couldn’t help but cry with him.

While I’ll still be able to watch Thomas get shots, it’ll hurt, more than those Penicillin shots I received as a child.

Huh. I just realized this was is a morose subject; not quite appropriate for Easter, now is it?

So on that note, as Thomas sleeps contentedly with no memory of his shots, I wish you all a happy and peaceful Easter.

Much love to you!

© Copyright 2008 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/575281-What-Hurts-Most