*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/577647
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1155006
Peace marks the end of war; it does not mark the end of trouble.
#577647 added April 30, 2008 at 2:14am
Restrictions: None
Protector
Brew flipped through the diary until he found the page.

"Do you see?" He pointed towards a paragraph. "Mage Truth doubts you. I began to suspect her when she asked Seraph to accept the angels' will, if not yours, so I watched her closely and, eventually, searched her room."

Seeing the mage's guilt-ridden face, Caleb patted his shoulder. "Do not fret. It is not a sin to protect Sentralia."

"I hate to say this," Brew said, "but we must do something about her. She has enough influence to derail the angels' plans."

"So does Mage Seraph."

Caleb frowned as he reread the passage. With no proof of his deception, she couldn't oppose him openly yet, but her suspicion was dangerous enough. She would scrutinise his actions and dissect every word he uttered. Surely, she would catch him out just as Combustion did.

Seraph presented an even bigger problem. No doubt influenced by Combustion, the flight mage was already spreading distrust in others, and he was the one Caleb needed.

"Mage Brew, is she at the palace now?"

"Yes. Mage Truth will remain until midday."

And Seraph would be at the palace later that morning, Caleb thought. He could deal with the matter quickly.

"I need a spare charm," he said.

Brew looked sceptical. "The one that Seraph wears will never activate on her. She is loyal to both the Great Mage and Sentralia."

"I have a different one in mind."

---

Seraph descended down the stairs and stopped outside the first cell.

"Hugh, you came."

Seraph would recognise the voice anywhere. He leant against the thick bars, trying to adjust to the dim light within the cell. In one corner, a shadowy figure sat, so small and dejected that Seraph's heart wrenched upon seeing it.

"Sorry I took so long, Shuxue."

"It's all right." Combustion's voice was almost too soft to hear. "I hardly behaved as a friend at Solana, so of course you were too upset to meet me. Don't worry. I'll be out of your life soon-permanently."

Seraph froze. "What do you mean?"

"I'm to be executed, Hugh."

"Executed?" Seraph gripped the bars as if he would pull them out. "No, I don't want that, and I didn't delay because I was afraid or angry! It was just that the jailer refused to let me see you earlier-and because I was still investigating Maeryn's murder."

Combustion looked up. "Who else was involved?"

"Din. He will be brought here today."

The fire mage leaned back against the wall. "So I may be executed together with him."

"No." Seraph's voice was firm.

"What do you mean no? Din and I are murderers. It makes sense-"

"Listen, I'm sick of labels. Easterners, Westerners, troublemakers, hypocrites, enemies, murderers, barbarians; all they do is keep us doing what we should, whether it's rebuilding Sentralia or, in your case, raising a family. I want to give everyone a chance!"

The fire mage sighed. "Not me. I killed too many people with that spell."

"Do you know how close I was to doing the same?"

"What?" Combustion leapt to his feet. "You don't have my powers!"

Seraph faltered. "I'm...not so sure about that, but that's not what I meant. What I'm saying is, what if I'd messed up? I could have sent dragon spirits rampaging through the countryside or allowed ghosts to kill everyone in Midlands fortress without meaning to, but I was lucky."

"We can't simply hope that your luck will rub off on me."

"No, but you don't make the same mistake twice. I know you'll stay in control."

"I have a temper," Combustion insisted.

Seraph looked at him evenly. "So have I. If they execute the man I need more than anyone else, I'll bring the palace down."

The fire mage looked stunned.

"So do you still want to die, Shuxue?"

Combustion smiled. "No. You're right. I simply gave up too easily."

Seraph almost laughed with relief, but Combustion's next words caused his chest to tighten.

"In the end, it doesn't really matter though. Caleb wants me dead, and he will have his way even if I refuse to go quietly."

"No," Seraph whispered.

"But before I die, I have two things to tell you. First, Caleb is here only because he was exiled from the heavens, for disobedience." Combustion held up his hands before the flight mage could object. "I know this is hard to believe, but I wouldn't have said it if I hadn't overheard Caleb's argument with another angel. Have you heard of Nahum? He told Caleb that he could return if he repented, but that liar's not even close to admitting fault. He's just trying to cover up his punishment."

Seraph sank his head into his hands. "How long have you known?"

"For a week or so."

"And you didn't mention this before?"

"I agreed to keep his secret," Combustion admitted, "as long as he kept you from harm. Well, he broke that promise when he failed to save Maeryn. Caleb was apologetic, and he does seem genuinely fond of you, but regret wasn't good enough."

"Does he know how you feel?"

"I think he knows I don't intend to keep my end of the bargain any longer."

Something clicked into place. "Is this why he wants you executed?" Seraph asked. "Is this why the jailer refused to let me see you before? No, wait! He practically invited me down here today, so what changed?"

"I asked him to bring you here," Caleb said.

Seraph looked back. He wished he didn't when he saw Truth struggling in the angel's arms.

Caleb smiled as if he were merely enjoying a stroll in a field. "Greetings, mages."

"What are you up to?" Combustion growled.

The angel sighed. "Truthfully, it would have been less difficult for us all if you had kept your suspicions to yourself, Furan, but we can only deal with the consequences now. I will therefore obtain silence from each of you."

"You won't receive that!" Truth cried.

Caleb waved his left hand, and a necklace tightened around her neck. She choked. Seraph suddenly realised that he'd never seen that piece of jewellery before.

"It's another charm!"

"Yes, Seraph, and it is part of a warning," the angel said. "With one gesture, I can cause it to strangle Truth, perhaps to death. Oh, and the necklace decapitates the wearer upon my death, so I wouldn't, Combustion."

The fire mage stopped mid-gesture.

"Seraph," Truth gasped, "you must...sacrifice me. Save Sentralia."

Caleb chuckled. "For shame, Mage Truth. I do not mean to ruin Sentralia or any particular person; I merely wish to control it. As long as you and your beloved Daylight continue to follow my 'advice', I will have no reason to discard either of you."

"Why don't you just repent and tell everyone the truth?" Combustion asked. "It's the fastest way to return home."

The angel sniffed disdainfully. "Home? I will no longer regard the heavens as my home, nor call the other angels friends. No, I choose to remain here." His lips curved into a thin smile. "After months in Sentralia, I am finally beginning to appreciate its food, its crafts and the Great Mage's Palace that keeps most of the fractious rabble away from me. I am sure that, with time, I can bend the people to my will and make my new life tolerable."

"Caleb," Seraph said, cautiously approaching the angel.

He could see Caleb's eyes, calm on the surface, but carrying wild undercurrents that blindly grasped at straws. Something deep within the angel knew that he could only delay his downfall and that his lies will destroy many, yet he could not face the truth. Someone else would have to force him to.

Seraph was now within reach of the angel. He stopped.

"Is our silence all you want then?"

Caleb smiled with relief. "From the others, yes, but you will eventually succeed Great Mage Daylight, and I will have more instructions then. Follow them, and we will prosper."

"What about Combustion?"

Seraph nervously ran his hand over the back of his neck, allowing his scarf to loosen and fall.

"I would rather not cause you further pain," Caleb said, "so even though I could have him executed, I will advice the Great Mage to send him to Aidi if you agree to cooperate."

Seraph hesitated. What Caleb offered was scarcely better than death. If Chinze's tales were true, and Seraph had no reason to believe otherwise, the fragmented Aidi were united only in their intolerance of mages. Combustion would struggle just to survive.

"Do I have your agreement, Seraph?"

The flight mage returned Caleb's gaze. "Yes."

"No!" Combustion yelled. "Take that back!"

The angel turned and laughed at him, "It's too late, Furan, but you need not worry. I will take good care of Seraph, just as Maeryn would have-no!"

Caleb had finally taken his eyes off the flight mage. Seraph took the opportunity to snatch the charm off his own neck. Alerted by his sudden movement, Caleb pushed him away, but Seraph proved too agile.

The charm clamped onto Caleb's neck with a sharp click. He shrieked in horror and screamed again, clawing at his neck, but his efforts were futile. Truth broke away and crashed into Seraph as the latter tried to pick himself off the floor. An instant later, Caleb silently slumped to the ground.

Seraph stared at the angel, waiting for him to retaliate or stand up or even twitch. When Caleb made no movement, Seraph turned to Truth.

"Are you all right? He didn't manage to harm you when I attacked?"

"I'm unhurt." She smiled, allowing the flight mage to help her up. "You were right to risk my life."

"And mine," Combustion said, "but let's save the celebrations until we've explained everything to Mage Brew here."

Seraph and Truth spun. Unnoticed by them, Brew, four guards and the jailer had arrived and were gathered near the bottom of the stairs. One soldier pointed his weapon towards the flight mage.

"What happened?" he demanded. "What did you do?"

Seraph attempted a nonchalant shrug. "Caleb was threatening us, so I neutralised him. Thank goodness my charm worked; I wasn't sure whether any magic affects angels."

"I think charms are less discriminatory than aura magic," Truth said.

Brew gaped at the prone figure, apparently oblivious of anyone else. "What? How could the charm affect him? He is loyal to both the Great Mage and Sentralia!"

"Is that how my charm works?" Seraph asked.

But the charm mage did not respond. "How could the charm affect him?" he repeated.

"I'm afraid Caleb is loyal only to himself," Truth gently explained. She turned from the charm mage and said in a harsher voice, "Confine that wretched angel!"

And that reminded Seraph of his mission. "Oh, Mage Truth? Could you set Combustion free while we're here? I'm sure he is no longer a danger to anyone."

Almost everyone stared at him in horror.

Truth was the first to break the tense silence. "I understand his confinement seems unfair," she said carefully, "but I must have solid evidence before I could take the risk."

"Then let's ask Caleb once he wakes up," Combustion said. He leaned against the bars confidently. "Now that he wears Seraph's charm, his self-serving lies should be obvious."

---

"Who knew he'd sleep for so long?" Combustion grumbled.

Seraph grinned. "Well, he cared for neither Daylight nor Sentralia, so the charm would affect him more than most, wouldn't it?"

It had taken two days, but Seraph considered the wait worthwhile. Now Truth was free of her charm, and he was carrying Combustion back to the Academy.

"It's good to feel the breeze again, isn't it, Shuxue?"

"Mm hmm." For once, the fire mage seemed entirely relaxed far above Angalas' streets. "And it's good to be free from the shadow of death."

"By the way, what was the other thing you needed to say before you died?"

"It's not important now."

But Seraph had felt his friend tense, and he wasn't convinced by the rushed answer.

"Yes, it is. Tell me, Shuxue."

But Combustion said nothing. Seraph was just about to insist when he heard the quiet reply.

"We should land first."

"Huh?"

"I don't want you to fall out of the sky when you hear what I have to say."

Seraph swallowed. "Uh...okay."

He landed in an apparently empty street and steadied himself before facing Combustion.

"So what was it?" Seraph asked.

"I wanted to say..." Combustion hesitated and tried again. "I wanted to say that...I love you."

Seraph was speechless.

"I don't know if you could ever reciprocate," the fire mage continued, "and I had decided that no relationship should prevent me from returning to Furao, but when that hope evaporated-"

"You can go back," Seraph interrupted.

Combustion shook his head. "When all I faced was death and disgrace, I realised that you were the one I needed most. My home is right here with you, not in Jinse."

He stopped, and Seraph realised that Combustion was waiting for a response. The flight mage's mind reeled. It had never occurred to him that the fire mage might be more than a friend, and he felt as unprepared now as he was when Chinze confessed her love. Did he feel the same way for Combustion as he did for her?

"I would at least like to remain as a friend," Combustion said, as if deciding he would receive an unfavourable answer. "I can walk to the Academy from here, so I will leave you now."

"No," Seraph blurted.

The fire mage tried to hide his dismay. "I understand. I was imposing on you." He began to turn away.

"No, you aren't!" Seraph seized Combustion's arm and then dropped it, embarrassed by the outburst. "Um, what I mean to say is I think I love you too. I can't be sure because I've never had such a relationship, but what I feel for you is different-greater-than what I felt for anyone outside my family. You're welcome to make your home with me."

The mages smiled at each other-and jumped at Gardner's booming voice.

"Congratulations!"

Grinning from ear to ear, Gardner emerged from his stall and clamped meaty hands on their shoulders, grinning from ear to ear.

"I didn't see you!" Seraph exclaimed.

"Well, I knew neither of you were noticing much of anything," Gardner chuckled. "Anyway, I'm always glad to see young love, so I have a little something for each of you."

With that, he pulled two apples out of his apron and placed them in the surprised mages' hands.

"T-thank you," Seraph said.

"You're most welcome," Gardner said, and he leaned to whisper the flight mage's ear. "Now, would you do me a favour?"

"Certainly."

"Could you get your lover out of here? I don't mind him, but my customers fled the moment they saw him, and I'd really like them back."

© Copyright 2008 Ariadne (UN: ariadne25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ariadne has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/577647