*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/584069-short-take-on-offense
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#584069 added May 9, 2008 at 11:02am
Restrictions: None
short take on offense
Why do people get offended? Particularly, why do some people get offended so easily?

I only have a few minutes, so I'll just play around with the idea. If something smells offensive, I either avoid it or hold my nose. If the offensive odor can be eliminated or disguised, I might complain to someone who can do something.

The On-Line dictionary defines offended this way: To cause displeasure, anger, resentment, or wounded feelings in.

I can't think of a lot that offends me. Okay, I wouldn't like to be made fun of.

I probably would be offended if, in a group, I were totally ignored. Depending on the group.

I'm offended when someone talks to me like I'm stupid.

I'm not offended by people's religion, lack or religion, or politics-- unless they suggest by word or action that anybody with any sense should believe as they do.

Maybe that's it, the reason my friend Arlene is offended by Qi Gong and Buddhism. Maybe she feels that the rest of us think she should be open to those things too, not afraid of them the way some fundamentalists are afraid of anything that smacks of New Age as a work of the devil.

That would make sense, because I do think she, as a professional, should be open to new ideas. So her response, to be offended is defensive! Aha! I've always thought that there was a connection between being offended and being defensive, and not just the obvious connection between the words. I'm talking about the way people act out their feelings.

What do you thinkk? What offends you? What makes you feel defensive? They're not always the same, but sometimes, yes sometimes they are.






© Copyright 2008 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/584069-short-take-on-offense