*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/585655-Epilogue
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #1155006
Peace marks the end of war; it does not mark the end of trouble.
#585655 added May 18, 2008 at 1:55am
Restrictions: None
Epilogue
"Uncle Shoo-shoo!"

Sara knocked hard on the bookcase and laughed when the Academy's deputy head jerked up. As she suspected, he had been dozing. Quickly regaining some equilibrium, he turned in his seat and glared into the shadows.

"Sara, what are you doing up so late?"

Her grin widened. His ill humour was as much due to his nickname as it was to being surprised. At 46, Sara could easily pronounce "Shuxue", and "Mage Sun", as he was now called, would have been easy even for a five-year-old.

She stepped forward and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I could say the same for you. You're getting too old to push yourself this hard."

"I'm not that old!"

"54 is old enough."

Combustion sniffed. "Just wait another eight years, and see how old you feel then. Now, why are you here? I know it's not to tease."

"You have a visitor! He arrived just a little while ago."

"So? I have a visitor every week. Researchers, academics from half of Sentralia..." He shook his head. "Life was easier when mages had an academy and everyone else relied on tutors and relatives-not that I begrudge the giftless their education. Anyway, tell him he can wait until morning."

"He isn't that type of visitor, and I don't think you'd want to wait that long."

Combustion finally looked interested. "Is it my father?"

"No," she said, suddenly becoming sober. "Sorry."

Sara had forgotten how much those visits meant to him. Thanks to Seraph's persistence-and the fact that Combustion couldn't come to Furao-the fire mage's family grew closer to him. Relatives who had never written to Combustion began writing monthly, and some visited him.

His father's response had been the most dramatic. He went to the first Conference of the Mage Academies just to meet Combustion and then visited the fire mage several more times. His health, however, had prevented travel over the last four years.

Combustion was quiet for a long while, before he looked up again.

"So, who is it?"

Sara smiled again. "You'll see. He is in one of the guest rooms, so I'll bring you to him."

"You don't intend to tell me, do you?" Combustion asked.

She simply shrugged.

Fortunately for Sara, he remained too tired to insist. Instead, he cleared the table, placing books on library's shelves and gathering his notes and stationery. She watched marveling at Combustion's smooth, quick movements. They were so full of energy, so unlike those of the visitor. Even though the guest was almost a year younger than the fire mage, he often moved as if he was exhausted. Looking at him, she barely remembered the young man he once was.

Once Combustion had grabbed his last pencil, she led him out of the library, carefully keeping her solemn face from his eyes. He would definitely insist on an explanation if he saw her expression. They descended the staircase, then walked to the far end of the corridor, where the five guest rooms were.

Four of them had open doors revealing dark, empty rooms. Her grin returning, she walked straight to the remaining door, preventing Combustion from reaching it first.

"You are making a big deal of this," he noted suspiciously.

"Really?" Sara asked, turning the knob. "You'll know why in a moment. Surprise!"

The door swung open to reveal Chinze-and Seraph.

---

All thought of sleep vanished the moment Combustion saw him. He was certain the man couldn't possibly be Seraph, but the similarity between the guest and flight mage was amazing. The height, the face and that bright, expectant smile...

Combustion shook his head. The next conference would not begin for two more years, so Seraph had no reason to be in Sentralia so soon.

"Excuse me for staring," he said to the visitor. "I was reminded of someone else when I saw you."

The guest simply extended a hand, and Combustion gasped as he clasped it.

Their rings were identical.

Pencils clattered onto the wooden floor and rolled away in every direction, while sheets of paper fluttered and flapped after them. Combustion was in no state to reclaim them, or even respond to Chinze's and Sara's laughter.

"Hugh," he gasped. "What brings you here? Is there trouble at the Furan Academy?"

Surely, nothing but a conference or an emergency could bring Seraph to Angalas. Anything else would be too good to be true.

Seraph gently pulled him into the room.

"No trouble," the flight mage replied. "Actually, it is doing so well that I can leave it in Caleb's hands."

Something within Combustion snapped. "I knew it! This is too good to be true. How could you leave Caleb unsupervised and in control of an academy? You know what mischief he's capable of!"

"You haven't changed much, have you?" Seraph asked mildly.

"I know that charm is controlling him, but all charms lose power over time, and unless-" Combustion stopped mid-sentence, suddenly feeling stupid. "Did you...replace his charm?"

"No. It fell off on its own, I think because Caleb has finally changed. He truly wants to help humans; he no longer says that just to please or fool me.

I took it as a sign."

"Now you're starting to sound like Daylight," Chinze said.

"Actually," Seraph said, "I wasn't relying on miracles or signs from angels. I was putting faith in one of my own prophecies, the one saying I must leave once Caleb can hand me his own charm. Now I am on my way to Aidi."

Combustion blinked. "What about Sudenland?"

"Master Mage Chaos did a superlative job during his exile there, so the Sudeni are doing about as well as with their new powers I could expect. The Aidi, however, are not at all prepared. If they are to be ready on time, they will need more than just my help.

"This is why I wanted to see you and Chinze. Shuxue, I'd ask you to come even if you had nothing to offer, but I need someone of your intelligence and experience, and you are the only nuclear mage qualified to teach. And Chinze-"

"I'm happy to help you with the Aidi," She interrupted. "They are a difficult and stubborn people."

"Great! And what about you, Shuxue?"

Combustion still could not reply. Seraph's lined face and grey hair warned the fire mage of the struggles and heartbreaking failures he would face, and yet Combustion was rarely happier. Seraph would never leave again.

"Well?" Sarah asked, concern evident in her voice.

Seraph picked up the piece of paper closest to him and, upon reading it, sighed. "You're too busy to come, aren't you?"

"W-what?" Combustion exclaimed, finally finding his voice. "No, I was just surprised. I'll definitely come with you!"

"And what about your position?" Seraph asked.

"I've already told the Master Mage of my intention to resign. You see, I had decided to return to the academy's library last month and had said this to everyone here. I was change jobs next month, but I don't think anyone would be too upset if I left tomorrow, even Wynton. Besides, I refuse to let anything or anyone keep me from you."

Seraph smiled and kissed Combustion's lips. "I missed you too. Now that that's settled, would you like to stay awhile?"

"Absolutely. Just let me clean up the mess I made."

"Oh, don't worry about that," Chinze said. "Hawk and I will pick them up and bring them to your office. You two just...do whatever you want to."

With that, she snatched the paper from the startled flight mage and quickly gathered up the stationery. Sara joined her after only a moment's hesitation. In no time, they stood outside the door.

"Goodnight, uncle," she said to Combustion.

Chinze grinned as she closed the door. "Yes, have a very good night!"

The door clicked shut, and only then did Combustion roll his eyes.

"I hope most Aidi aren't like Chinze," the fire mage grunted. Then he smiled and wrapped his arms around Seraph. "We should accept her offer though. Think you can stay up a few hours more?"

Seraph caressed Combustion's face. "That won't be a problem."

© Copyright 2008 Ariadne (UN: ariadne25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ariadne has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/585655-Epilogue