*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/586556-Theologians
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1371715
Welcome to The Library. Randomness happens, Studyees.
#586556 added May 22, 2008 at 4:11pm
Restrictions: None
Theologians
"Theologians
they don't know nothin'
about my soul"
-Wilco, "Theologians"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDf80vSGwlU&NR=1

I may offend some people today. I'm ok with that. It's merely my opinion, and I am of firm belief that I was not put here to be loved. At any time, you have the option of clicking the little "X" on the top right corner of your monitor.

And please don't preach to me. Nothing is more offensive to someone who doesn't want to be "as informed" as they are than having one's values force-fed to them that they're cramming their fingers down their throats to purge the perceived evil outta them.

That said, there's been some real interesting discussions about religion happening in chicochica 's blog the last couple of days. I've made it pretty standard practice not to get too involved in discussions regarding this topic, but it's been really thought-provoking, her last two entries and in the comments (enough to at least make me think of reexamining myself).

I'm not judging anyone, so I'll ask that you please not judge me. I realize we're all different...different backgrounds, expectations, values, etc. The last thing anyone I could imagine wants is to be criticized for their personality or belief system (or lack thereof).

I don't pray. I don't go to church or practice any religion. I wouldn't go as far as saying I'm an athiest, because I believe there's something pulling the strings for us, but I don't know what.

I was raised Catholic. I've practiced Christianity with Southern Baptists. I've visited Jewish temples. I've read both the bible and the Ku'ran (pardon me if I misspelled that). Of every religion that I have any bit of knowledge of, I see the flaws as well as the spiritual fruits. The worms in the apple, perhaps. I see little spots. Little things that to me make it very hard to throw my support behind 100%. Religion is a difficult sea to navigate...a lot of times you have to be into it 100% in order to feel like you're going to benefit in the everafter. And if I'm going to be involved in something so deep and meaningful, I'd want to be able to back it up completely. I don't want to half-ass my way through something believing I'm doing the right thing, only to be shut out at the gates. I don't even know if there is an everafter, to be honest.

I respect anyone who has an opinion about their respected choice of faith. But not every religion is right for everyone. Were that the case, we'd all be [insert favorite faith here]. But we're not. What was one of the main reasons the pilgrims came to America? Religious freedom.

I don't see the point on asking a supreme being to do something I should be doing for myself. God isn't gonna find me a job, much the same as Satan isn't responsible for me leaving my last job. God's not going to cure cancer, nor is Satan going to give it to me. God's not gonna drop a supermodel in my lap, and Satan's not gonna make sure I don't wake up next to a lagoon creature. To me, prayer is a roll of the dice. I'm not saying it's wrong and that everyone should stop, now. Obviously I'm sure no one hits their knees at night assuming the Lord's gonna cover the mortgage payment in a show of good faith. I just...don't get it. I wonder if I ever will.

I think what's key is to have faith in the people around you. Have love. Have trust. Have understanding. I know it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do sometimes. Maybe for some, all they have in life is their faith. I'm glad that it works for many people. Maybe miracles can and do happen. But I could never gain the concept of a holy day, living life by a book or communicating with spirits. It sounds shallow, yes. But that's how I look at it. Perhaps I'm in a period of confusion, but I don't think so. Call me ignorant; that's fine. But should that take anything away from the person I truly am inside because I don't spend an hour a week and a few minutes each day honoring a supreme being? I really hope not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ClCwcCvdQ

I'm leaving you with this because the ending is a very powerful, moving, visual statement. This video was actually banned from MTV for its graphic content but still won an award as a "Breakthrough Video".

And just to lighten things up a little...this is what Supercuts did to me yesterday..."Invalid Item.

Peace.

© Copyright 2008 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/586556-Theologians