*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/591781-Leaves
Rated: 13+ · Book · Nature · #1439094
Look around. Let Nature nurture your Soul. I record images I sense and share them here.
#591781 added June 18, 2008 at 5:30pm
Restrictions: None
Leaves
I collected leaves earlier this week. Not the beautiful colors of autumn, just the greens of nascent summer.

They aren't all 'green'.

Ash is however! Around here I think it defines the color! That medium green green that becomes a neutral color in the tallgrass prairie towns. Most of the leaves of other trees were too, except for younger maple and locust leaves with a tint of yellow or redbud with amber. The Kentucky bean tree leaflets are darker green and the smoke bush is strongly purple.

Leaves aren't all the same though.

I challenge you-all to go out in the yard or park or stroll down a street. Pick about 10 different leaves (and take notice of the trees) while the neighbors aren't looking (it will only confirm their suspicions).

Look at both sides and edges, feel the texture, notice how they are structured. Use all your senses. Don't taste them unless you know they are edible.

Report back to me! *Bigsmile*


*Leaf3*

Moon over mulberry

When the cloying scent of linden
lingers in the moist June air,
as the moon sets over mulberry,
hear birds chatter soft and clear.

In the coolness of wee hours
before the orange streaks herald dawn,
before the stars fade in the twilight,
before the bus leaves and I'm gone:

remember the sweetness of the mulberries;
watch the moonglow cold and fair;
know that I am with you always;
know that I'm the one that erred.

copyright 2008 Kåre Enga [165.119] 2008-06-17

Note: the original prompt was about the waxing moon setting over the mulberry trees behind where I live.

*Leaf3*

My notes

As writers we use words to paint pictures. Sometimes we use just the common ones, the expected ones, but even leaves are more than just green! The come in many shades and multi-shades. They smell like sage or apple; taste like tea or spinach; grow to the size of an ant or an umbrella; they rustle, float and weep; are waxy, fuzzy, rough-as-leather, (seldom speak).

There are many technical words to describe the differences between them. A beginner's or young-adult book on leaves is a good place to start. The more obscure terms should probably be used sparingly to not lose the reader.

But leaves are more than pretty autumn colors.
3

© Copyright 2008 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/591781-Leaves