*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/597969-Is-Life-Still-Worth-Living
Rated: E · Book · Inspirational · #1453687
A collection of thoughts and musings about life in general.
#597969 added July 22, 2008 at 3:16pm
Restrictions: None
Is Life Still Worth Living?
Three days a week, my friend, Joan, and I have an early morning coffee klatch.  She and I have been friends for thirty years or better.  We've been there for each other during those times that were less than bright, as well as the shared celebrations. 

I've reared children, we've lost loved ones, and she had a bout with breast cancer, as we've traveled through the day-to-day things that make life what it is.  We have had tons of fun, and sometimes we reminisce about those times.

"Remember when Robin called the police because your car was missing?"  I asked Joan.

"I do!  That was funny. "

My husband, Ronnie, always had a key to Joan's house and to her car.  On that occasion, Joan was out of town, and he offered to take her car for servicing.  She neglected to let her neighbor or her daughter know he would be coming by.  When he and the mechanic picked up the car, the neighbor saw them and reported the theft to Joan's daughter, Robin.  She tried unsuccessfully to get in touch with Joan and called the police instead.  Later there was a lot of explaining and laughter as the scene unfolded.

Ronnie crossed over five years ago, but Joan still works in our office three days a week.  She's our Claims Supervisor and, even at seventy-six years old, she's one of the best in the business.  We talk insurance, politics, religion, family, whatever, and the conversation is lively.  No subject is taboo, and I always learn from the exchange of ideas.  Recently, the 'why' of living came up.

Life's good, and we enjoy getting up in the morning, but there is the question of why we have that opportunity when so many seem to pass on far before their times.  Our children are grown, her grandchildren and a couple of mine are adults.  We aren't activists or serving any obvious greater good by being here.  I haven't marched in protest, or support, of anything since nineteen-sixty-one.  She does serve in a couple of community clubs, but that's more for the social side than anything else.  We just relish every day, and we ponder our blessed situations.

"Joan, did you hear about Brenda's brother-in-law?"

"No.  What?"

"He died unexpectedly this past weekend.  His wife had a similar passing two years ago.  Now, there's three teenagers without a mom or dad."

"Where are they going to live?"

"Brenda's.  She said her last one was leaving for college just in time to free up some bedroom space.  Do you ever wonder why things happen the way they do?"

"Yeah, but not for any great length of time."

"What do you mean?"

"I think life is like being a mosquito on a Rembrandt  painting.  You can't see enough of it to make sense of it."

I agreed.  "I guess our best bet is to do whatever is right in front of us as we try to follow that string through the maze."

"Yeah.  I once heard someone say, or maybe I read it somewhere:  There's a simple test to determine whether you have accomplished your purpose in life.  If you are still alive, you haven't!"

We laughed, refilled our coffee cups and went on to the next subject.

"Did you watch Dancing With The Stars last night?"


© Copyright 2008 Annmuma (UN: annmuma at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Annmuma has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/597969-Is-Life-Still-Worth-Living