*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/598798-Follow-The-Favre-Money
Rated: E · Book · Sports · #1369759
Yoyo Brett Favre and his re-re-return to football...now last shot at glory corrupted?
#598798 added July 27, 2008 at 6:31pm
Restrictions: None
Follow The Favre Money
The Packer's 'football decision' was a business decision. Why is the organization so adament about keeping the rights to number four, rather than see him play for another team?

If Brett Favre moves on and has success in Minnesota or Chicago or anywhere else, the legacy that is lost tarnishes the Packers reputation. Favre could decide to retire with another team after Ted Thompson's failed manipulation to force the quarterback into a premature decision to hang up his cleats in March...two months after the end of the season...seven months before the start of 2008.

The money trail is something that should be followed closely. Who has the most to lose here if Favre switches jerseys? I recall an ESPN morning show that had photoshop pictures of Favre in other teams jerseys. Why so early the interest to see what he looks like with another team? Merchandise is a huge part of the NFL profit system.

I can only imagine how much Favre earned the team in 2007 as the largest jersey seller for Reebok among atheletes in all sports. How much more money would he be worth in 2008 with another team? The Packers had a big cash grab last year, but how about in retirement?

I got to thinking about this and want to learn more, but I assume retiring as a Packer means the team can still earning money off number four for many years to come. So, I try to connect the dots. Thompson's plan has been from the beginning to phase out Favre. Wear him out. Put him through a meat grinder with bad teams, bad offensive line, leave him to struggle and hope it gets him into a career ending injury or to retire.

Why did Favre waffle on retirement? Because he got the good cop/bad cop routine. One said we want you back (McCarthy) while the other implied you're not worth the money (Thompson). Remember Favre's bit in his retirement address..."I hope I was worth every penny." I think that was aimed at administration, who gave him the finger when he wanted to offer his input to make the team better.

The encouragement from McCarthy with little help from Thompson, the sounds of Favre's indecision were somehow amplified in the media. Rumors circled that he is selfish and wants the world.The guy wants to win and has name recognition that can draw good athletes to the team to make it even better. Isn't that really a privilege to have a player in a position to help like that. It's part of the dynamic that Thompson could have taken advantage of, rather than shun. Who has the bigger ego now?

He's been a pawn all along. Thompson probably got approval for the Favre phase out from key members within the organization at the outset. But there had to have been the stipulation that the rights to the man stay with the team. If he moved on, his value to the legacy of the Packers diminishes. It would have to be a money decision. No Favre, less money for an organization that was licking the lid of the NFL's trash cans before he came along. That don't have that same financial security if he retires as a member of another team.

I happened to look up some information on my neighbor and former Packer receiver Bill Schroeder the other day. I inadvertantly discovered that he choose to retire as a Packer. You might imagine that he had hoped to make a comeback with the team, but there's something significant about retiring as a member of a specific team. It may be important to both parties in as far as future business arrangements may go. So, how does it affect the Packers if Favre moves on?

Thompson had his end game strategy, he just didn't count on being trumped by number four just a few months after he lit up a cigar in celebration of Favre's tearful departure from the game. Now he's back, and the GM seems shaken. His plan backfired.

I would like to learn more about how teams report profit and if it can be ascertained how much Favre alone impacts the financial well being of the organization. And, in a year without him, when the rights to sell his merchandise greatly diminish, how will the team fair?

Can they take a hit to the fan base that supports Favre? There's no doubt many disgruntled fans and recognition that this whole thing has been handled badly. What if fair-weather Packer fans stop tuning in so they can get the reception of their Mississippi mudslinger's firings somewhere else?

Packer earnings were down after the 2007 season. Thankfully, overhead was down, so profits increased (I think, I will check) by 1.5 million. So, a year from now, at the next shareholders meeting, what will the team report? And how will they be received then? It may depend on how the Favre fiasco plays out. Ted Thompson, you may very well be fearful of your job security, even as former NFL 'executive of the year' or whatever they dubbed ya.


© Copyright 2008 I Don’t Like My Name (UN: ripglaedr3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
I Don’t Like My Name has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/598798-Follow-The-Favre-Money