*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599531-safer-driving
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#599531 added July 31, 2008 at 12:54pm
Restrictions: None
safer driving
Safe Driving Course

    AARP offers a safe driving course for people over 50. I signed up for one in a nearby town. I expected it to be boring and tedious, but I wanted to save money on my insurance and update my knowledge.
   
    The course promised to help us adjust to the changes in hearing, vision and reaction times as we get older. It also promised to teach the changes in Virginia laws since we first got a license. The price was $10.00, by check only, made payable to AARP to cover materials. The class covered two mornings for three hours each. The students ranged from early 50’s to 86. About 30 people attended. One student was the father of teenage drivers, so he took the class to be a better role model. The teacher was a retired gentleman with a sense of humor. There were two five minute breaks.


    I was surprised. The class was great! It was fun! There was so much useful information, and it was presented in a lively way. AARP has prepared entertaining videos ans an easy workbook. This gentle teacher, a former business executive, excelled in keeping the class engaged in discussion.

    One of the first topics covered was giving up the keys forever. Deciding for yourself instead of letting others do it is the best way. AARP has self-tests to give yourself every few years to make the decision easier.

    The course also touches on dealing with elderly parents who are still driving. The very first day our homework was to invest local alternative means of transportation and the cost. Copious supplemental reading materials were available, as well as Virginia maps and DMV materials.

    We discovered a lot of answers that were correct back in the 60’s and 70’s and even early 80’s, but are not considered acceptable today. The way of thinking about many things has been revised in the last decade or two. For example:  How closely should you follow a vehicle? Old answer: one car length for every ten miles of speed. New answer: Use the three second rule. Some had heard of the three second rule but didn’t practice it. 100% of us gave the old answer.

    To use the three second rule every time you’re on the road, pick a sign or mailbox or bridge post and start counting 1001, 1002, 1003, as the vehicle in front of you passes it. If you get to the chosen marker before you count 1003, you’re too close. Experience taught that most people can’t judge the distance or a car length. The faster you go, the more ground you cover in a second, but the distance automatically adjusts if you practice this rule. The bottom line is the distance works out the same in both answers but the second one is easier for most people to adjust the distance as necessary.

                                                                                                                   
    Overall the class was very enjoyable and never dull or tedious. If you are over 50, I highly recommend taking the class. The insurance company will reduce your costs for three years. After that you need to take the class again. You can even learn about being certified to become a volunteer teacher.

    I also urge local churches, often the leaders addressing social issues, to include this in your ministry to senior adults. Find someone willing to become a certified teacher. Open a classroom for use and advertise. The only cost to the student is the $10 fee. The only cost to the church is advertising, if you open it to the public. You are not obligated to provide refreshments or anything other than a water fountain and bathrooms. Many within the local community and the outlying counties could benefit from this course.




© Copyright 2008 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/599531-safer-driving