*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/601327-Its-a-Presidential-election-year-in-the-US
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#601327 added August 11, 2008 at 10:15am
Restrictions: None
It’s a Presidential election year in the U.S.
Kamál (Perfection), 11 Kamal (Perfection), 165 B.E. – Monday, August 11, 2008 about 6:14 AM PDT

It's a presidential election year in the U.S. and I haven't written one poem to commemorate the event. Normally I write at least one political style poem, but this year nothing. I haven't watched as much T.V. this year as I have in other election years, so that may be the cause.

I don't get all that involved in politics. I'm registered nonpartisan. I work the polls on primary and general election days. I write a political poem and read it at an open mic reading. That's the extent of my involvement in politics.

I have watched a little T.V. and seen a few of the political commercials. They don't seem as bad with the mud slinging this year as in some years. That, however, could be the result of the drought we're going through.
There just isn't that much mud to sling
because there is no rain.


Since I'm nonpartisan, I don't have to worry about who's running on which ticket. In the general election, I'll be a little more observant. I'll have to think hard about who I'm actually going to vote for then. I think I know already who I'm going to vote for, but it's a close to three months tell November. That gives all the candidates plenty of time to do something stupid and cause me to change my mind.

We're in a drought
so the candidates can't sling mud
without being accused of wasting water.


That may be the only political poem I write this year. I'll have to work on the idea a little bit longer to see if I can make something more of it. Maybe I should try a form poem for this. Form poems always help me when I can't find an approach to a subject.


© Copyright 2008 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/601327-Its-a-Presidential-election-year-in-the-US