*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/601394-It-seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time---
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#601394 added August 11, 2008 at 5:55pm
Restrictions: None
It seemed like a good idea at the time . . .
Ever do something and realize too late you may not have made the right decision?

That be me right now.

One of the workshops at the writers conference is entitled "Thick-skinned Manuscript Clinic." Jerry Jenkins (co-author of the Left Behind series) and Andy Scheer (former editor for Moody magazine) will super-critique 12 (6 fiction and 6 nonfiction) 2-page samples submitted by attendees.

I attended one of their classes the last time I went to the conference, and I learned a lot. Mostly I found people make the same mistakes time and again, myself included.

On impulse I decided to submit my own sample for this year's conference. My fantasy was that they would have few suggestions and be so impressed with my writing and my story, they will recommend me to a publisher . . .

Hey, like I said before, if you're going to dream, dream big.

Not ten minutes ago I received an email from Andy Scheer, and I quoth:

Dear Ms. Marquardt:

Please plan to attend the Friday afternoon session of the Thick-skinned Manuscript Clinic, when the opening pages of your novel will be examined.

Andy Scheer
Managing Editor | Christian Writers Guild


My first thought: "Oh [censored]! What the [censored] did I just get myself into?"

Gulp.

Luckily my name won't be included for all to glare at and remember-never-to-buy-a-book-written-by-her, but I'm sure everyone will know its mine by my beet-colored face and liquefied bones as I slink down the seat to the floor.

I gots to remember my writing will only improve with their suggestions, and that's the main reason I sent my sample to them.

Well, aside from showing off my brilliance.

Ha!

© Copyright 2008 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/601394-It-seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time---