*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/604645-IntroducingLola
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#604645 added August 30, 2008 at 11:48pm
Restrictions: None
Introducing...Lola!
Here she is, our Lola.

Are you puzzled? What a strange name for a boy dog?

I noticed the dog squatted, but not all male dogs lift their legs. I vaguely noticed she wasn't as well endowed as Chico, and was thankful. He was Mr. Testosterone. This little Benji dog is hairy and small, and I didn't give its gender a second thought until a nurse pointed out that something was missing. The animal shelter said he was a 3 yr old male, and I thought they knew at least the gender part, if not the age and variety of terrier. I was wrong. *Blush* And *Blush* *Blush* for the animal experts at the shelter!

So, by Monday afternoon, Benji was Lola. You know the song: "Her name is Lola, she is a dancer...." Or maybe it's "Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets."

We keep forgetting and referring to her as a him. We've always had female cats and male dogs and called them "the boy and the girl." Now it's the girl who's chasing the girl, will you please call the girl away? After we'd settled on Lola, Bill suggested Ben-Her. *Laugh*

She does jump up on us a little too often, and wants to chew on our hands, but otherwise is a perfect lady. Except that she hasn't figured out about the shower, and barks like crazy when Bill comes out that door. Then she wants to lick the water off his legs, and he hates it!

I have juggled my schedule all week to check on her after every few hours. She's been in the dog run in our back yard or loose in the yard when the run is too sunny or rainy, and she's been fine.

I did buy a crate for her, and she's tried it twice now, but is not thrilled. I will keep trying though, because she could fly with us in the crate. (Maybe the engine noise would even drown out the barking!) We'd certainly try a short flight the first few times, just around the pattern, then maybe to the next airfield ten miles away. If she doesn't get along with the crate, or maybe anyway, I could try a little jacket for her that straps into the seat belts. And we wouldn't take her up on a bumpy day. No doggy airsick bags!

Yes, now that I have a dog, I can get on with life, adapted to fit a lot of ball throwing, toy tugging and petting. She is a very active little love.

© Copyright 2008 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/604645-IntroducingLola