*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/604847-Eye-Strain
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1302157
My blogging here
#604847 added September 1, 2008 at 2:47pm
Restrictions: None
Eye Strain
Today is Labor Day, but I'm not going to do a whole lot of laboring today for sure!

Yesterday I was having a problem with my right eye. I noticed a pulling and some light flashes now and then. We were actually having a thunderstorm here and at first I couldn't tell if it was from the lightening or what!

We had been in the middle of our second game of chess when the thunderstorm started. We continued to play as the sky lit up and the thunder rolled around us.
I was putting up a good challenge for my chess partner (Ron) by capturing both of his knights and his rooks and I even had his queen pinned! It was very exciting for me as I have yet to beat him at Chess.

I don't know maybe I got just a little too excited or what but then it happened. Something was blocking my vision in my right eye. It was dark and moving around. I knew immediately what had happened. It was another floater!
The medical term for this is posterior vitreous detachment. The gel around the eyeball detaches itself from the retina. Sometimes with serious consequences by tearing and detaching the retina itself.

It is fairly common in adults over age 60.

I had my first experience with this at age 61. At that time it was my left eye and I think it was from eyestrain of reading on the computer for too long of a time!
I had an eye examine done at the time and was reassured that I did not tear the retina. The floater itself was much smaller than the one that came yesterday.
That worries me. I also saw a red color to this larger, more spread out floater.
I think that I was seeing blood with this one! Something that I never saw before.

I think it may have made a tear on the retina.*Worry* I will be calling the eye doctor here tomorrow and making an appointment to get in and have it looked at.

Meanwhile I will lay low and be careful not to put anymore pressure on my eye than what is normal. That means less time on the computer too!*Sad*

Oh, I almost forgot...I lost the chess game! The 'Champ' still reigns...ugh.



© Copyright 2008 ShiShad (UN: shishad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ShiShad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/604847-Eye-Strain