*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/605415-Honeywell-Areospace-Story
Rated: 18+ · Book · Opinion · #1311596
Something slightly loftier, pointed and hopefuly witty.
#605415 added October 26, 2008 at 12:53am
Restrictions: None
Honeywell Areospace Story
The Wheels Are Turning At Honeywell

Feature written for Tech Connect Magazine




The climb up Honeywell’s corporate ladder actually began long before Ed Wheeler joined the company and ultimately became president of its defense and space for Honeywell Aerospace division in Phoenix.

Wheeler’s interest in aerospace can be traced to his childhood when he was fortunate to have exceptionally enthusiastic teachers and family members who stoked his interest in science and math. “Aerospace continues to be an extremely interesting and compelling field for me,” Wheeler says.

Things became even more interesting for Wheeler and his Honeywell division as they contributed in the mission of NASA’s Phoenix Mars Lander, which after a 422 million-mile journey landed in the Red Planet’s northern hemisphere on May 25. Guiding the Lander to a soft touchdown was the job of Honeywell’s miniature inertial measurement units (MIMU).

The nine-pound, cylindrically shaped devices provided inertial data and guidance information that aided the vehicle’s descent through the Martian atmosphere. Observing the mission from orbit were the Mars Odyssey, Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and Europe's Mars Express, which were all moved into position thanks to MIMUs installed on board the satellites and allowed mission controllers to capture imagery of the historic descent of the Lander, marking the first time a landing spacecraft has ever been photographed by an orbiting satellite.

“The units have contributed to the success of several commercial and military satellite and space exploration programs,” Wheeler says. “This mission marked the seventh time Honeywell technologies were on a scientific mission to Mars.”

Wheeler knows there is more to Honeywell’s innovations than a trip to Mars. “Aerospace is an exciting and dynamic industry that helps society solve many problems, Wheeler says. “At Honeywell our goal is to bring innovative solutions to our customers … And with a product and technology portfolio as broad as ours, there is never a dull moment.”

The 28-year Honeywell veteran has been at the helm of defense and space since 2007 and brings with him an extensive engineering and management background, holding a Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in electrical engineering from Auburn University. He has completed the Carnegie Mellon University program for executives, and is published in a number of engineering journals covering topics on avionics, navigation and control systems.
It’s all more than just a job for Wheeler. “It’s exciting to be part of a global business that develops technologies and innovations to tackle some of our greatest contemporary challenges like safety and security, fuel efficiency and alternative fuels as Honeywell does,” he says.

Wheeler’s day-to-day duties are not always dedicated to missions in space. There is also the responsibility for leading-edge technology in engine design, demonstration programs for the U.S. Army and Air Force in the latest in lightweight metals, structural coatings, and innovative navigation and flight control systems. “I spend a lot of time with customers: the U.S. Department of Defense, other defense organizations around the world, and the large prime contractors and original equipment manufacturers that contract with DOD,” Wheeler says.

Wheeler’s “can-do” attitude speaks volumes about Honeywell’s commitment to worldwide service and the betterment of humanity through technology and its limitless roll for future generations and perhaps into the far reaches of space. 

Sidebar Highlights:

What are a few of the systems, equipment and advanced technologies that really are on the cutting edge?

“Our aircraft flight management and safety systems, the Honeywell engine technologies that offer fuel efficiencies and more power, navigation and guidance systems for aircraft and spacecraft, components that are radiation hardened to protect them from the environments in space, – to name but a few.”


How is Honeywell’s aerospace division structured?

“Honeywell’s Defense and Space business accounts for about 40 percent of Honeywell Aerospace’s $12 billion annual revenues. Defense and Space has six operating units and the business has many operating locations including the states of Arizona, Washington, New Mexico, Minnesota, Florida, Maryland and also in the UK, Germany, Kuwait and numerous other countries around the globe.”

© Copyright 2008 C. Anthony (UN: reconguy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
C. Anthony has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/605415-Honeywell-Areospace-Story