*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/611427-Red-State-Blues
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1196512
Not for the faint of art.
#611427 added October 6, 2008 at 9:55pm
Restrictions: None
Red State Blues
While I've tried to stay out of direct politicking in my blog, here, I'm sure most of you know I lean toward Obama in the presidential race. I was on the fence until McCain picked that champion of proud ignorance, Sarah Palin, to be his third wiferunning mate, but doing so put me squarely in Obama's camp.

Living as I do in Virginia (albeit in a particularly liberal-leaning town), my support would normally mean exactly nothing; this state hasn't gone for a Democrat since before I was born. But check out this poll:

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReportEmail.aspx?g=00f2d8fb-6a3b-425d-9f27-2...

There is movement among men, where immediately after the GOP convention, McCain led by 10, and where today Obama leads by 11.

Yeah, we're flip-floppers like that.

There is movement among whites, where McCain's once 22-point lead is today reduced to single digits.

Are you saying we might be pro-McCain because he's one of Us?

There is movement among the well-to-do, where today for the first time Obama leads.

That's because both of them want our money, but Obama's more up-front about it.

There is movement among pro-choice voters, where Obama's lead has doubled since August.

Ummmmm... could it be because McCain is ANTI-CHOICE, maybe? (okay, I'm sure he's that way just so he could get the Republican nomination, but we're sure about she-who-may-become-President-gods-forbid.)

But here's the important thing:

In Central Virginia, home of the Confederate White House, the Museum of the Confederacy and Appomattox, Obama today leads by 8.

That's right. Some of us aren't fighting the War of Northern Aggression anymore. And some of us care less about the color of someone's skin and more about what's under that skin.

It's still a month before the election; polls can lie, anything can happen between now and then, and I'm still convinced there's voting fraud going on in every state that matters, including mine. But here in Virginia, we're already making history.

I think Jefferson would be proud.


(Edited to add:)

Our sacred house of dreams has been abused, looted, and left in a terrible state of disrepair. It needs care; it needs saving, it needs defending against those who would sell it down the river for power or a quick buck. It needs strong arms, hearts, and minds. It needs someone with Senator Obama's understanding, temperateness, deliberativeness, maturity, compassion, toughness, and faith, to help us rebuild our house once again. But most importantly, it needs us. You and me. To build that house with the generosity that is at the heart of the American spirit. A house that is truer and big enough to contain the hopes and dreams of all of our fellow citizens. That is where our future lies. We will rise or fall as a people by our ability to accomplish this task. Now I don't know about you, but I want that dream back, I want my America back, I want my country back.

So now is the time to stand with Barack Obama and Joe Biden, roll up our sleeves, and come on up for the rising.

         -Bruce Springsteen
         October 4, 2008

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html

© Copyright 2008 Robert Waltz (UN: cathartes02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Waltz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/611427-Red-State-Blues