*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/613967-The-Plays-the-Thing
by Joy
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #932976
Impromptu writing, whatever comes...on writing or whatever the question of the day is.
#613967 added October 21, 2008 at 10:51am
Restrictions: None
The Play's the Thing!
Although there's still time until Nov. 11, entries are lacking from:
The Play's The Thing  (E)
A contest for script writers. Winners announced. New round open.
#1421907 by StephBee - House Targaryen


If I weren't one of the judges, I would have entered this contest. The theme "autumn" or "fall" is perfect, timely, and a playwright can stretch it any old way she or he wishes.

The thing is you the accomplished or not-yet-so-accomplished writer don't need to be a playwright or you may not even want to become a playwright. There are many pluses for any writer to write a play.

To start with, it is great practice, because a number of drama techniques help out with the basics of fiction writing. Short plays may become the backbone of other fiction, for they may suggest stronger storylines because of their hotseating the characters and the plot. Writing a play teaches you how to gear your writing towards an idea or even towards something saleable.

Then, since a play needs to have something of a human element and it is also a bare-bones form, you will learn to quickly pinpoint that human element in your other writing through writing a play.

In addition, by inserting drama in your opening lines and your last line, you'll be practicing how to write, in your other work even in non-fiction, great opening paragraphs and endings that concentrate on your main idea.

If you don't want to become a playwright, it is fine. Just write a play or two for the practice of it. You'll be happy you did. *Smile*

© Copyright 2008 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/613967-The-Plays-the-Thing