*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/616639-Election-Day-Stories
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#616639 added November 4, 2008 at 3:01pm
Restrictions: None
Election Day Stories
Here in the Cincinnati area, there have been reports of scanning machines not working in many polling areas. The machines are spitting out the forms without recording the votes. Supposedly those ballots are being sent somewhere where they can be counted and recorded by hand.

It was also reported on our news last night that there could be hundreds of thousands of people voting in more than one place. Our neighbor, Kentucky, has a law that says that even after a person moves and registers elsewhere that they have to keep their names on the voter registration rolls for two Presidential campaigns. That opens up the ability for people to vote in more than one place. And there are some who admitted to doing just that. I imagine that Michigan must have some similar law, since I moved from there in 2003 and still get information from them, even though I informed the county of my move in writing.

Our news people also intereviewed one lady who decided that rather than voting in her new location (state), she chose to come back to Ohio to vote because her vote will count more in a swing state. You can't do that. You're supposed to vote where you live!

A few weeks ago, some college students admitted to being registered in more than one state. One guy actually lives in England and yet voted early in Ohio.

There was also a news report a few days ago about an elderly woman in a nursing home whose son was trying to get her vote invalidated. She had no idea who was running or who she ended up voting for, but some "helpful" people had come to the nursing home to make sure she and the other residends were able to vote.

Voter fraud is against the law and can be punished by jail and fines.

It has to make you wonder if the results of this election will have as much or more controversy as the elections in 2000 and 2004.

***************

On The View this morning, they commented about the touch screen voting in Florida. A while back, they mentioned that in early voting the elderly voters didn't get it. They weren't waiting for the screen to record their votes and were ending up voting wrong. My parents lived in FL when there was the chad problem. They admitted that they were confused.

***************

Just now on the news was a report of Black Panthers standing in uniforms outside one polling place in Philadelphia where some voters felt intimidated. One of the Black Panthers was removed by police because he had a night stick that he was waving around.

The news people were asked to leave by the polling people, but they checked with their legal department and found out they're allowed to be within ten feet of the polling area.

***************

What's going on where you live? Or what have you heard on the news?




© Copyright 2008 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/616639-Election-Day-Stories