*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/617358-Review-of-Vivian-Zabels-Prairie-Dog-Cowboy
by Harry
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1490694
HarryG's blog.
#617358 added November 7, 2008 at 10:02pm
Restrictions: None
Review of Vivian Zabel's Prairie Dog Cowboy
I recently got to read Vivian Zabel's (who is well known around Writing.com as a poet, author, moderator, newsletters editor, publisher, among other things) new YA book entitled Prairie Dog Cowboy. Here is the review I have written for it:

Prairie Dog Cowboy by V. Gilbert Zabel is targeted for readers aged 9 to 12, but many adults will enjoy this book as well. I know I did. The story is well told by the author and illustrated beautifully by Jordan M. Vinyard. The book tells the story of a boy, Buddy Roberts, growing up in the harsh environment of Oklahoma in the early 1900s. Buddy has a mother who, for some reason he cannot understand, dotes upon his older brother while mistreating him. No matter how hard he tries, Buddy simply cannot win her love. Fortunately for Buddy, Calem Hyman, a neighboring rancher, takes a liking to him and aids him whenever he can. Buddy wants to grow up to be a cowboy, and Calem promises him a job cowboying on his ranch if he masters the necessary skills. To learn roping, Buddy tries lassoing prairie dogs, hence the nickname given to him by his older brother’s mean friends of being a prairie dog cowboy. The story follows Buddy through childhood into his late teens as he grows into a cowboy and a good man who finds a new, loving family.

The book is filled with entertaining action, such as roping, herding cows, breaking in wild horses, winter blizzards, coyote attacks, and learning how to deal with harshness in life. Along the way, Buddy (and the reader) learns much about enduring unfairness gracefully, working hard, honesty, meeting your obligations, and about love and family. The story held my interest as the reader becomes emotionally invested in Buddy and pulls for him to succeed. Zabel has done an admirable job of creating characters and situations that reflected life in 1900s Oklahoma realistically.

In summary, Prairie Dog Cowboy is a great book to buy for, and to recommend to, young adult (YA) readers. Not only will they be highly entertained reading about life as a cowboy, but they will gain valuable insight into how to deal with various life issues involving bullying, mistreatment, love, family, and what’s important in life. I highly recommend this book!

Any of you having children in the 9 to 13 age should buy this book for them for Christmas. I highly recommend doing so.

Cheers!

Harry

© Copyright 2008 Harry (UN: harryg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Harry has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/617358-Review-of-Vivian-Zabels-Prairie-Dog-Cowboy