*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619078-Chapter-1-A-Powerful-Energy
Rated: E · Book · Comedy · #1496620
An experimental American Novel with Anime style comedy/slapstick.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#619078 added December 14, 2008 at 6:03pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1: A Powerful Energy
In 1185, the Minamoto Clan defeated the Taira Clan in the Genpei War, effectively ending the Emperor’s rule over Japan. Minamoto's victory ushered in the Kamakura Period, named after the City of Kamakura where the Shogun had chosen as his stronghold because of its natural protective barriers.

The deep blue Sagami Bay bordered the south, while wild green mountains surrounded the north, east and west. Within the city, the Shogun carefully built roads based on his military and aesthetic requirements. Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines were also allowed to flourish.

To this day, those roads and religious monuments define the city. One of those roads, Wakamiya Avenue, now paved with black asphalt, still connects the bay to the great Hachimangu Shinto Shrine located in the center of the city. Cherry and pine trees flanking the avenue continue to provide homes for chirping cicadas and protect travelers from the beaming sun.

The Kamakura Period contributed substantially toward Japan’s rich culture. However, the one hundred forty year Period was also marred with significant family infighting. Ultimately it ended, just at it had begun, with violence.

* * * * *

Text messaging her husband, Cindy strolled the Hachimangu grounds with her two young children. Since moving to the city, the shrine was one of the few places where she found solace. She loved listening to the ruffling sounds of the tree leaves, viewing the colorful carps swimming in the ponds, and feeling the spirits when paying respect to the Japanese Deity.

She was not particularly religious and definitely not Shinto or Buddhist. If anything, she was a Christian like her father. Regardless, she enjoyed that special feeling she experienced at the shrine.

Joe and a young monk, Gonta, watched Cindy standing in front of the wooden altar. She tossed some coins into the alter pockets, bowed her head, closed her eyes, and clapped her hands twice. She prayed for a few moments before lifting her head.

“Young Master, what do you think?” Gonta asked.

Smack! ... Joe slapped the monk’s baldhead. “Don’t call me that.”

“Sorry. It’s a habit.” Rubbing his head, he bowed apologetically.

Joe handed the monk a few bills. “Thanks for finding her. You did well.”

“No, it’s all right. I can’t accept this.”

“Take it. Don’t worry about it.”

“Thank you, Young Master.”

Wreench! ... Joe grabbed the monk into a headlock with his left arm while ... boko boko boko! ... repeatedly pounding the monks head with his right fist. “I told you to never call me that!”

Tears flowed from the monk’s eyes as bumps formed on his baldhead.

Cindy looked toward the commotion and suspiciously squinted her eyes. The two froze with their jaws wide open. Cindy grabbed her children and walked away.

Leaving the monk, Joe followed her from a distance. He had never felt such energy as the one that surrounded her.

Cindy stopped and turned around.

Joe quickly put his hands in his pocket and looked toward the sky.

She grabbed her children’s hands and walked hastily down the concrete pathway toward the shrine’s exit.

Sawa sawa sawa! ... rain drizzled.

Joe noticed Cindy making her exit. “Wait!” Waving, Joe ran after her.

She stopped and looked back.

Her seven and five-year-old son began throwing rocks at him, yelling, “Stalker! Stalker!”

One of the rocks looked big as a basketball before ... bonk! ... smashing into his forehead. A large teardrop fell from his eye.

Cindy grabbed her children’s hands and walked swiftly as they exited the shrine.

Joe continued running after her until he reached the exit. Dumbfounded, he watched her and her frightened children bolt toward the train station.

He looked up at the dark clouds. “Rain.”

Gush! ... a rush of heavy rain showered down on him. Rubbing the red bump on his forehead, he stood there for a minute without a word.

“I’ve found the one,” he finally said to himself.

Black crows flew overhead making the sounds ... Aho! Aho!

© Copyright 2008 uchinanchu (UN: johnhiga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
uchinanchu has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619078-Chapter-1-A-Powerful-Energy