*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619080-Chapter-2-Taira
Rated: E · Book · Comedy · #1496620
An experimental American Novel with Anime style comedy/slapstick.
#619080 added December 14, 2008 at 6:04pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 2: Taira
After a ten-minute walk from the Hachimangu Shrine, Joe reached his small office. A wooden signboard read:

Joe Minamoto
Human Energy Doctor

Dating back to the Kamakura Period, every male offspring in the elite Minamoto family tree became either a medical doctor or a Buddhist monk. An energy doctor specialized in bringing balance to a person’s human energy. Joe considered his profession simply a hybrid between a medical doctor who healed physical ailments and a Buddhist monk who healed spiritual ailments.

Of course, nobody in his family saw it that way and found him to be an embarrassment. Consequently, they avoided him like a plague and never brought Joe’s name up in public conversation. If anyone asked family members about Joe, the response would be an uncomfortable silence.

Joe walked into the waiting room where his patient, Mr. Taira, sat with his head down.

Rumiko, his assistant, stood from behind the counter. “Sensei, good morning.”

Sensei was a title reserved for those in revered professions such as doctors, lawyers, and famous artists. A human energy doctor’s dubious standing in the community did not merit this title. Only his loyal assistant and troubled patients called him Sensei.

“Good morning.” Joe faced Taira. “Taira-san, how are you feeling today?”

The fluorescent light flickered when Taira raised his head.

“Sensei, help me.” Standing, he grabbed Joe’s arms.

“Okay. Okay. Relax. I’ll be with you in a moment.”

“Pardon me Sensei.” Taira said, pulling his hands away.

Leaving the waiting room, Joe instructed Rumiko to have the lights fixed. Walking through the narrow hallway, he passed two closed doors before entering his examining room. He removed his suit jacket and slipped into the white medical gown hanging on a rack.

Sighing, Joe sat in his chair. Taira had a volatile relationship with his wife. Joe hated treating patients for marital matters because they tended to get extremely irrational regarding the treatments. Normally, Joe would refuse such clients. However, Taira came from a prestigious family and could afford to pay well.

Joe pressed the intercom. “Rumiko-san, please send Taira-san into my office.”

Slouching, Taira walked into the examining room. He sat in a chair facing Joe. The lights flickered when he looked up. Pale-faced, an eery shadow screened his baggy eyes.

“Sensei, I have strange dreams.”

“Dreams? What kind of dreams?”

“I’m walking through the Hachimangu Shrine. When I enter, the entire ground turns into a grassy field full of colorful flowers. It is always a beautiful warm day. As I walk deeper into the shrine, I begin taking my clothes off. I am naked as a newborn by the time I reach the offering altar. Then I notice the tourists all around staring at me.”

“Then, what?”

“Bare naked, I start dancing a disco dance.” Taira points his finger in the air posing like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. “Sensei, what does it mean?”

Whack! ... Joe smashed Taira over the head with a large medical book. “It means you’re a pervert.”

A brief silence passed.

“What about your relationship with your wife?” Joe asked.

“Oh, it’s bad. I can’t stand even being in the same room as her. It’s as though she sucks up all of my energy.”

“Well, that’s not abnormal. Maybe, all you need is a little patience. Things may work out.”

“No. I really can’t stand her.”

“How about a divorce?”

“Sensei, if I could do that I wouldn’t be in such dire straits. We have children to think about. Besides, my father says he’ll disown me if I get a divorce. She’s from a very powerful family, you know.” Taira paused and grinned. “Maybe I can try some of that experimental energy again.”

Gzzz, gzzz! ... the lights flickered.

Lowering his head, Joe pressed his temple and sighed. “Don’t you remember what happened the last time?”
© Copyright 2008 uchinanchu (UN: johnhiga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
uchinanchu has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/619080-Chapter-2-Taira