*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/624505-Tis-the-Season-of-Blah
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#624505 added December 15, 2008 at 11:39pm
Restrictions: None
'Tis the Season of Blah.
Perhaps it's the soured economy, the fear of what 2009 will hold, the severe cold weather taking over many parts of the US, or fatigue over the constant advertising.

All of the above even.

I noticed even people who typically love Christmas are blah about it this year.

Many people in my town love to decorate, whether it be Thanksgiving, Easter, even Valentine's Day. We don't need street lights this time of year, because so many houses splatter so many lights and Christmas figures on their house and lawn.

This year, I'd say less than 30% have decorated.

I believe it's more due to weather here than apathy, though. Snow keeps falling along with temperatures, and have been for two weeks now.

This isn't all bad news, though. Sometimes introspection is needed, and now is a good opportunity. It's easy to concentrate on our hardships, and potential challenges as the new year looms, but most of us, if we thought about it, can list more blessings.

2008 was a banner year for me. My son was born healthy and happy, and is my greatest joy.

I published a book and it's selling well.

My parents divorced, but it's actually a blessing, believe it or not. They didn't argue or fight over it, and in fact get along better now. I think it's due to no more pressure of expectations. Mom doesn't need to pretend to want him around anymore, and Tom doesn't feel pressured to stay in North Dakota, a state he grew to hate.

I could list many others, but I don't want to bore you.

You might be thinking this would fit better as a Thanksgiving Day entry. Maybe, but then I didn't have the time to contemplate as I do now.

Besides, the Christmas season serves as a reminder of Jesus' birth, and the single greatest gift God gave Man.

As I thank him for Jesus, I figured I should add on everything else I'm grateful for.

Because I deserve none of it (but I certainly won't give them back. No way. Not happening. They're mine, mine, mine, all mine!)

If'n I don't visit you from now until Christmas day, I pray you successfully fight off the Blahs, and experience nothing but joy, peace, contentment, and rooms filled with laughter.

© Copyright 2008 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/624505-Tis-the-Season-of-Blah