*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/624917-Does-Your-Name-Define-You
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#624917 added December 17, 2008 at 11:48pm
Restrictions: None
Does Your Name Define You?
First read this article, if'n you please: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081217/ap_on_fe_st/odd_hitler_cake_10

While I agree with the father that what he named his children are just that. Names.

At the same time, naming children should not be about the parent's likes or dislikes per se. They also need to be aware of how their children will be treated with regard to their names.

You don't name a boy Penelope, for instance. He'd be teased mercilessly by other children for sure. He'd possibly grow up uncertain of his male identity, and wonder if his parents really wanted a girl instead of him.

I changed my name from Andra to Anne for the longest time, because I tired of people mispronouncing it, and others accusing me of having a boy's name (they thought I was named Andrew).

Children will find ways to make fun of anyone's name. We can't get around it, but to name a child Adolf Hitler goes a bit too far. To most people in the world, the name is synonymous with fascism, the anti-Christ and evil.

It won't be children who give the poor boy a hard time, but some adults as well.

My grandmother was born as Wellemina (I'm not certain of the spelling). She grew up loving that name until the first day of Kindergarten. She told the teacher her name and the woman towered over her, placed her hands on her hips and said, "Wellemina! What kind of name is Wellemina?"

My grandmother went by Billie until the day she died, because from that moment on she hated her name - was even embarrassed by it.

I shudder to think what the little boy in the story will endure - and his sisters. If he survives, I bet good money he'll legally change it by the time he turns 18.

And he'll end up hating his parents for being so cruel.

© Copyright 2008 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/624917-Does-Your-Name-Define-You