*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/625581-Day-21-Santa-Clause-confronts-Global-Warming
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#625581 added December 22, 2008 at 11:53am
Restrictions: None
Day 21: Santa Clause confronts Global Warming
GLOBAL WARMING PERTAINING TO THE NORTH POLE.
Cite two or more facts. Cite: me: quote the facts.
Name the sources.


He had heard the warnings and read the headlines, but he could not believe that humans were that selfish, short sighted and greedy. Still there was not other logical explanation for what was happening.

Getting up from his overstuffed red chair, Santa went to the window and looked out at the elves milling around the compound. Larry, the head toymaker was standing at the northern ice wall, staring at the blocks of ice, which protected the compound from marauding polar bears and other wild animals.

“Larry’s no scientist,” Santa mumbled turning his back on the scene outside and walking wearily to the computer. “He can’t be right about what’s happening to the snow and ice. Still, there is the dramatic decrease in the snow pack this year and for the first time I saw naked ground, when I took my June flight over The Pole.”

Sitting down in his specially constructed office chair, Santa booted the computer. Then, taking a deep breath, he accessed the Internet and did a Google search for The effect of Global Warming on the North Pole. A chill ran up his as he read an August 6, 2006 60 Minute report by Daniel Schorn. The report A Global Warming and originally broadcast on February 19, 2006 seemed to confirm what the elves had been say for the past few months.

He read the first paragraph of the article again: “The North Pole has been frozen for 100,000 years. But according to scientists, that won't be true by the end of this century. The top of the world is melting.“ - http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/16/60minutes/main1323169.shtml

A tear ran down his cheek, as he realized the implications of what was happening to his beloved home. “I suppose we’re going to have to move the compound,” he said as he clicked on another article. This one written by Associated Press reporter Beth Duff-Brown and dated April 16, 2007 concerned Inuit hunters. The article Icy places first feel the effects of global warming said: IQALUIT, Nunavut - Inuit hunters are falling through thinning ice and dying. Dolphins are being spotted for the first time. There's not enough snow to build igloos for shelter during hunts. - http://news.mongabay.com/2007/0416-ap.html

“Santa,” Misty, the newest elf, rushed into the room without knocking and let the door slam behind her. “I’ve found our solution!”

“To what, elves falling through the thinning ice. I’m ordering all elves to start wearing floatation devices in and around the compound.”

“No, Santa, I’m talking about Global Warming.”

“There is a solution?”

“Yes, Santa, my sister, who lives in Las Vegas, sent me this article from the Sunday, December 21, 2008 issues of the Review Journal.”

“Let me look at it, Misty.”

Santa took the paper are read Scientists cool to man’s climate theory, by Greg Gordon reporter for McClatchy Newspapers. The article stated “Ron Ace … has spent three years glued to the Internet, studying the Earth’s climate cycles … back by a computer model … the little-know inventor … making public a U.S. patent petition … for a way to curb global warming …” – Las Vegas Review Journal Sunday, December 21, 2008, Newsline page 3A and continued on 13A.

Santa stroked his beard and then handed the paper back to Misty. “Interesting,” he smiled as he turned back to the computer, “he wants to spray gallons and gallons of seawater into the air in the Northern Hemisphere. You know, Misty, it sounds just weird enough to work. Maybe we ought to find Mr. Ace and hire him. Otherwise, my reindeer and elves are all going to drown or have to develop gills.”

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1405205 by Not Available.



© Copyright 2008 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/625581-Day-21-Santa-Clause-confronts-Global-Warming