*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/628173
Rated: 13+ · Book · Young Adult · #1511590
Love and Life- the two most complicated aspects of this world.
#628173 added February 11, 2009 at 9:34pm
Restrictions: None
The Mall
3

Tuesday’s morning reminded me of Monday’s. Late. Again. I went through my routine, awake in the body, asleep in mind. Thinking could happen later. Fifteen minutes later, I was miserably standing at my bus stop. Once again, I collapsed into an empty seat, leaned my forehead against the window, and allowed my thoughts to drift.

This day should have been more promising than yesterday. Derek met me at my locker, leaning against my neighbor’s like yesterday. We talked about our different plans for the day. (Shopping with Sarah—hadn’t forgotten yet.) Secretly, I think that he was hoping to schedule a date, but he said nothing of one—much to my dismay.

In Chemistry, Josh attempted to speak to me again. I merely picked at the loose threads of the checkered sweater covering my top.

“Hey, Micky,” He smiled at me shyly.

Tugging at the hem of my jean skirt, I dug out my homework which Derek had helped me finish. I kept my eyes on the white board.

“All right, all right,” Josh groaned, rolling his eyes, “You’re way out of my league. I’ll stop trying.”

I glanced sideways at him. “No, you won’t.” I immediately bit my tongue. Oops. I hadn’t meant to respond…

He shrugged. “Maybe.”

Mrs. Orrender ordered the class to pass up their homework. We didn’t share another word. I ignored him for the rest of the class, and when the bell rang, I sprang up from my chair and rushed to the hall. Derek was waiting. We walked to my Spanish class again; he promised to see me at lunch again, too. I was positively bursting to spill my new experience to Sarah, who hung on my every word’s edge. She was a good minion. My teacher skipped into the classroom—anyone brave enough to teach Spanish must also be required to be completely insane. She assigned us bookwork, and the class fell silent.

My next class Precalculus was another challenge. I struggled to understand the probability lab that we were supposed to be doing. I was very unsuccessful. The whole nPr and nCr thing really confused me. Unfortunately, I had no Derek to rescue me or Sarah to distract me. I was alone and helpless.

My mood perked up a bit when I walked into the commons room. I was hungry and nervous at the same time. In essence the two cancelled each other out, but considering the fact that I had skipped breakfast made me buy a slice of cheese pizza and a bottled water. Once I made my way through the line, I eagerly searched the crowd for Derek. He was waving enthusiastically at me. Lunch passed too quickly.

English, US History, and advanced placement Psychology all swept past me in a blur. My language arts teacher lectured us on how to set up our Socratic seminar questions and why Bloom’s Taxonomy was so important. I snorted in contempt at her. In history, I received my DBQ essay on ideologies during the early to mid-nineteenth century and whether or not they promoted the national interests. I got a 76. In AP Psych, I slept through a boring movie on Freudian methods and why they weren’t widely accepted anymore—or something like that.

Overall, my day was boring and productive. I was really looking forward to hanging out with Sarah. She was turning into more than a minion. She was leveling up to Princess. Hopefully, she would never elevate to Queen. I needed my popularity.

Unfortunately, the weather was slipping into cold, dry cloudless blue skies and chilly, starry nights. October was in full bloom. I dug out my letter jacket from my closet as soon as I got home.

I had just touched up my makeup when my doorbell rang. I pushed my arms through the cool sleeves of my jacket, grabbed my small burgundy purse, rushed down the stairs, and wrote a quick note to my parents explaining where and why I was going shopping with Sarah. I promised to be back before nine—I’d eat out with Sarah. I hoped my dwindling saved-up money would make it through the night.

We arrived at the mall around four. That gave us plenty of time to shop and eat. I crossed my fingers and hoped I hadn’t forgotten about any homework—I didn’t want to disappoint the parents.

Sarah blabbed about her Halloween party, which was always the biggest bash around. It even out-partied the homecoming dance. Of course, I was invited. I smiled at her invitation and gladly accepted. I knew what happened at her parties. Derek and I needed some…party time—away from parents. I didn’t tell Sarah the last part.

“My parents won’t be there this time—thank God,” Sarah rolled her eyes, “They have this masquerade-costume-Halloween party-thing to go to. I was so happy when they told me.”

I grinned. “Definitely…Who wants parents intervening in our party?”

Sarah just shook her head and was distracted by a cute spaghetti strap top.

We were able to find really cute matching outfits that were on sale. The outfits were very preppy. The pleated skirts stopped a couple of inches above our knees; the shirts were white-collared, quarter-length, and worn with an open vest. When I stretched just right, still-tanned skin peeked out.

My color scheme was a deep purple, and Sarah’s was an army green. We found matching accessories: berets, purses, and boots. The boots matched the color of our vests—brown suede. The berets and purses followed our color schemes, along with the pleated skirts.

While we tried on the outfits and primped ourselves in the dressing room, we discussed when we would wear our matching ensembles. Sarah wanted to wear them as soon as possible. I managed to convince her to let the new clothes be washed first and negotiated with her to change her mind from tomorrow to Thursday.

Surprisingly, we were finished by seven o’clock. We walked down to the food court, arms loaded with bags. We grabbed some burgers and fries and sat in the middle of the food court. Sarah kept looking over my shoulder at these two boys. She finally made a motioning gesture, and within seconds, the two boys were sitting with us.

A blond boy sat next to Sarah; a boy with brown hair with blue tips sat next to me. They introduced themselves as Matt and Ron. I smirked. If my name were Ron, I’d have abnormal colored hair, too.

They turned out to be really nice. They also went to Gwinnett High. I was surprised. I asked them what grade they were in. Sarah shot lightning bolts at me with her cryptic stare, but I ignored her. I wanted to know if either one could help me with my classes.

“We’re juniors,” Matt said.

“Really?” I asked, “Who do you have?”

Sarah rolled her eyes. For the Queen, I was avoiding flirting. She was starting to get frustrated with my lack of shallowness. For her, I fluttered my eyelashes and with a smile replied, “Oh, I was just wondering…I like smart men, and you two seem to have potential.” I motioned to Sarah and me with my wide eyes, trying to imply that they were getting involved with the right people.

Matt smiled at me and casually threw an arm around Sarah’s shoulders. “Well, you see here, ladies, you are pretty smart for liking smart men because—” he motioned to himself and Ron “—you are in luck. We just so happen to have all A’s and B’s. Don’t we, Ron?”

Ron smirked. “Actually, Matt, I have all A’s.”

Sarah patted Matt’s chest and said, “Very impressive.”

Matt grinned. He glanced at me and Ron. I rolled my eyes. Ron looked at me awkwardly. I smiled and motioned for him to walk with me. We rose from the table, and I told Matt and Sarah that we’d be back. Sarah secretly gave me a thumbs-up.

Ron and I strolled out of the food court and down the mall’s long and large hall. I tucked my hands in my pockets and faced Ron while ambling past the stores.

“So,” I said, “all A’s…I wish I could do that.”

Ron grinned. “Oh, well, it’s nothing really. I’m taking honors classes and one gifted class. Don’t be too impressed.”

“No, no, I’m impressed.”

“Hey, you never told me your name.”

I smiled. “I’m Michelle, but most people call me ‘Micky.’”

“Like Mickey Mouse?”

“No. Not like Mickey Mouse. Not at all. No ‘e.’”

“Why ‘Micky?’”

I shrugged. “Why ‘Ron?’”

He laughed. “Touché.”

“It’s just a nickname. My boyfriend calls me ‘Micks.’”

My breath caught as I said ‘boyfriend,’ but Ron wasn’t fazed by it. He just replied incredulously, “‘Micks?’”

I nodded.

“Wow, what a boyfriend.”

“What?”

“That’s such a stupid nickname.”

“Oh, yeah? Well, what would you like?”

“Just plain ol’ ‘Mick’ would suffice.”

I nod. “I’ll get right on that, Ron.”

He laughed. “You don’t seem so preppy.”

I shrugged. “I’m not really. Sarah is.”

“An act? That’s dangerous, Mick.”

I bristled. He was giving me advice? “I’ll do what I want to do.”

“You want to be an actress?”

“I want this subject to be dropped.”

“Fine.” Ron said. He stopped walking. “D’you think we should go back yet?”

I shook my head. “It hasn’t been long enough.”

“Enough for what?”

I grinned. “For them to make out.”

“You really think they will?”

I gave him a look. “If Matt is like Sarah in that he’ll kiss anyone willing, then yeah. And I also think that if we don’t go back soon enough, they’ll end up going further than that.”

“Naw, Matt may be a sucker, but he’s not an idiot.”

I looked him in the eye. His earnestness was confusing. “You do this often?” I asked.

“What? Take pretty girls on walks through the mall?” He grinned at himself and shrugged. “No, not often. In fact, only if I’m lucky. Usually I walk alone.”

I jerked my chin in the direction of the food court. “Or with Matt?”

“Yeah,” he grinned, “if I really want someone to walk with.”

I smiled. Ron sighed. I frowned at him. “What’s wrong?”

He shrugged. “This could be better.”

I gave him a confused look.

“If you weren’t taken and if I weren’t such a bloody coward.”

I grinned in understanding. I leaned forward and kissed him on the cheek. “Maybe next time, Ron.”

Ron blushed and said. “Yeah, maybe.”

We worked our way to a fountain and sat on the edge. Ron splashed me with the water. I giggled and splashed him back.

“We are gonna get in trouble!” I warned him.

Ron just laughed and said, “Never gotten in trouble doing this yet! Of course, I usually am splashing Matt after a make-out session, so I usually have a good reason.”

He splashed me again. I jumped and cried, “Hey!”

He just laughed at me. He reached into the fountain and retrieved a nickel. He held it up for me to take.

I shook my head. “That would be stealing.”

He shook his head back. “Not if you use it to make a wish.”

“It’s already been used for a wish!”

He shrugged. “How do you know? Most people just dump their change in without giving a second thought to making a wish. Besides,” he added, “this one’s wish hasn’t been used up yet, I can tell these things.”

I eye him suspiciously but ended up taking the nickel. I thought of a good wish. I wished that my life would get better. I sighed, knew it was silly to waste my time, and tossed the nickel back in. It landed with a muffled thump.

Ron asked me, “What did you wish for?”

“Nu-huh, I’m not telling. That would jinx the wish.”

“You actually believe that?”

I shrugged. “Maybe I just don’t want to tell you.”

“Because it’s about me, isn’t it, Mick? You wished that I would make this world a better place for you.”

I rolled my eyes, inwardly cringing at his guess. “Nope.”

Ron gave me a defeated look. “What else is worth wishing for?”

I shook my head and laughed. “Don’t worry about it, Ron. It’s not your burden.”

“Oh,” Ron replied, hushed, “a burden. I see. I can’t know.”

I stood and said, “I think we can go back now, Ron.”

He looked at me a second then stood up, too. “Okay, I’ll take the lovely lady back.”

We walked back to the food court. Matt and Sarah were still there. They had found an open section in the booth section and were busily making out in the middle of the food court.

Ron and I approached them. I called to Sarah while Ron sat down across from them. Sarah and Matt paused long enough to see who was bothering them. When Sarah saw me, she quickly pushed Matt off her and stood up. She gave me a sheepish grin and picked up her bags. Matt looked half-dead. I stifled a giggle and told Ron good bye.

“Bye, Mick.” He responded.

“Hey,” I called to Matt and him as Sarah and I turned to leave, “you should sit with us at lunch tomorrow. We have plenty of room.”

Ron nodded and smiled. “Sounds good.” He clapped Matt on the shoulder. “Doesn’t it?”

Matt just groggily nodded and called, “Bye, Sarah.”

Sarah smiled and told him good bye.

I told Sarah with my eyes that it was time to go. She nodded and fell in step beside me. We walked out to her car and placed our bags in the trunk. As we were piling in our junk, my cell phone rang. I looked at the caller ID. It was my parents.

I sighed. I had been expecting a call all night. Somebody—no, tonight it was two somebodies—was unhappy. It was about to be three unhappy somebodies. I was to come home immediately—yes, father. I was to thank Sarah for the ride—yes, mother.

“Sorry for that, Sarah,” I said, sighing again. “Parents aren’t too happy. Guess it’s a good thing that we finished when we did.”

My apology had taken her by surprise. Oops. The Queen is never sorry. She snorted and rolled her eyes, “Parents…what do they know?”

I smiled in the dark car, occasionally the inside lighting up as we drove under the streetlights. Twenty minutes later, I was reluctantly stepping out of Sarah’s relatively safe, little Toyota and unloading my newly acquired clothing. I didn’t want to be involved in the next match. I was afraid that I had no choice.

I politely and diplomatically thanked Sarah for the ride—for my mother. I watched her drive away before heading inside. Of course, the moment my feet crossed the threshold, my parents began grilling me. Did I know what time it was? Had I finished my homework? How were my grades? Just who did I think I was?

Queen?

Neither one bothered to ask how my day was. I didn’t ask about theirs either.

I slumped off to my room, not bothering to participate in the match at all.

“Get down, here, right now!” My father commanded.

“Richie! Don’t yell at her like that!” My mother intervened.

Blah blah blah

I struggled through two pages of probability questions, read a chapter from my history text books, and glanced over my seven questions for Alas, Babylon again—for my parents. I fell asleep with my light on and my mp3 blaring, crudely masking my parents’ screaming for heavy metal.

That night, I dreamt that my parents were arguing. My father was starting to get really ticked off. At one point, my mother merely cackled and said she didn’t care anymore. My father threw his head back and slung it forward again, his jaw engulfing my mother. In one giant gulp, he had stomached her.

He slowly turned to me, his eyes hungry for a fight. I stood my ground but closed my eyes against the attack. The thought of being dead barely frightened me.

Once I was in my father’s stomach, it wasn’t the death I had imagined. It was a Halloween party—Sarah’s. I fell onto a small, ratty couch. Derek immediately wrapped his arm around my shoulders. He kissed me slowly, tasting like honey.

When he had finished, I noticed that he kept eyeing someone else. I followed Derek’s gaze to the odd scene across the…stomach. Marshall was sloshing a cup of nasty smelling liquid all over the place, but he was too busy hitting on Josh to notice. The shy, quiet boy merely smiled at Marshall and the jealous Derek. When his blue eyes drifted to mine, he winked at me.

Josh motioned me over. I seemed to float to his side. He smiled at me and placed an arm at my waist. I threw an arm around his neck and kissed his cheek. When I pulled back, it was no longer Josh. It was Ron. Ron was smiling at me and telling me in hushed tones to wake up.

I opened my eyes to a soft ringing that was calling me from the dark pits of my father’s stomach. I moaned. My alarm began spazzing. I hit the snooze button and rolled over onto my stomach. I pulled a pillow over my head. The Queen was not eager to wake today—much less any day.

The day passed somewhat normally. Derek was at my locker, walked me to classes, and sat with me at lunch. Josh tried to talk to me again in Chemistry class and quietly aced his precalculus probability quiz. Sarah seemed distant—that was the only abnormality, but I rationalized it due to the fact that Matt didn’t sit with us at lunch. Ron did, and I introduced him to Derek. Ron seemed disappointed, and Derek seemed suspicious. I didn’t bother trying to explain the situation. It wasn’t overly important—at least I didn’t think so.

The next few weeks at school passed like this. Nothing changed much. Georgia got colder; the mornings got darker. My parents still fought. I remained Queen, with a King—Derek—and a Princess—Sarah.

I do admit—the Princess was starting to fade from my grasp. I took it to mean that Sarah was getting involved with Matt and mentoring her own minion. She had recently taken a liking to a fairly boisterous girl who sat with us at lunch, some girl named Amanda.

Oh. My grades were slowly but steadily declining. I almost forgot about that change. Surprisingly, even though my grades were sliding to low B’s and C’s, my reign was peaking. Boys practically tripped in the hallway just seeing me. Ron and Derek fought hard to make each other jealous and win me over.

Queen Micky drank it up, enjoying the attention. Real Micky drank only vitamin water, slowly weaning herself off any food. Meanwhile, King Derek was too busy playing games with Ron to notice. Real Derek had disappeared.

Life was growing colder; winter was coming.
© Copyright 2009 Amber Hawkins (UN: hbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amber Hawkins has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/628173