*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/629090-A-Beautiful-Day-in-the-Neighborhood
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1508897
Blogging/Journaling/Complaining on an entirely inconsistent basis.
#629090 added January 11, 2009 at 4:26pm
Restrictions: None
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
The sun is shining so brightly, the air is crisp and yet it is a nice 50 degrees.  The dogs are begging for a walk and at least on of the cats wants to go also.  So, Rick and I bundle up and begin our 2 mile walk down the dirt road in front of our house.  The experience is truly heady today after a week or so of rain, dark skies, and ice.  The dogs are running around like crazy and the cat is doing her constant Me-owing which means, "Slow down, owners, I am trying my best to catch up!"  She plays this game sometimes.  In truth she can make the whole walk with us.

Our walk gets interesting when we approach a pond with mallard ducks on it.  They always take off when we get to a certain place along the road, circle around and then re-land once we are out off their "danger" range.  I love seeing them soar above and take up their formation. 

A bit further down  several deer cross half-way across the road and stop dead center, studying us.  The dogs take out after them and still the deer stand tall and immobile.  They have apparently met these dogs before and know they are harmless for all their barking.  The neighbor has recently added some Charolais cows to his field and their white skins decorate the the brown pasture a bit differently than the usual black cattle he usually keeps there.  They chew, look up at us, and then get back to their chewing.  Very serious they are about that chewing!

The deer amble off to the other side of the road.  The dogs are sitting at the side of the road whining as if to say, "Geez, guys, come on back.  We want to play."

And then Rick and I see something up ahead that catches our attention.  Something black is lying a bit in the road, all over the side ditch and up onto the shoulder of the road.  We pick up our pace a bit as the dogs overtake the area and begin their investigation.  When we arrive we find that somebody has dumped their burned trash.  It is filthy and stinks and I want to throw up.  How could people do this to this beautiful place God has shared with humankind?  Oh, it gets worse......there is a dead dear beside the burned refuse.  Why kill an animal unless you need the meat?  For the sport?  That might work, if you would put the meat to good use. Throwing it along a dirt road is inhumane and sick.  How about dumping your garbage in your own yard?  We deal with our garbage in a correct manner.  What's wrong with the bubbas of the world?

Sadly, and with less love in our hearts for mankind, we finished our walk.  What started as such a beautiful day ended in blackness.

© Copyright 2009 Rixfarmgirl (UN: rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rixfarmgirl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/629090-A-Beautiful-Day-in-the-Neighborhood