*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/629096-High-and-dry-here
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1302157
My blogging here
#629096 added January 11, 2009 at 4:46pm
Restrictions: None
High and dry here.
Some of you have probably heard about our bad weather here in Washington State. There has been so much flooding of rivers in the western half of the state. All of it is due to the heavy snowfalls, and then the many rainstorms coming in to drench us from the warm Pineapple Express systems in the Pacific Ocean. Many of the rivers reached record flood levels and caused some major flooding in ares.

We are above the flood plain where we live. The Skagit River is close by us...but it never did reach the flood level that they had predicted. Thank God. Although, there was some minor flooding down-river from us, it was no where near the catastropic event that it could have been.

The main problem with our area was mudslides. One elderly woman in downtown Concrete rode out a mudslide when the hill that her home sat on gave way, and her house with her and her dogs in it came crashing down the hill falling on her son's car! She lived through the ordeal with only bruises and scratches! Her home was completely flattened except where she sat when it came to rest upon her son's car.

That video made the National News. When my family members saw it my phone began ringing of course because I live in Concrete.
I had to explain to them that we live on the South side of the Skagit and are above the flood plain; with no slopes near our home.

We were, however, snowed in for days. Our four wheel drive got stuck in our driveway several times. It is now unstuck again.

I am tired of looking at the snow and it is not melting fast enough to suit me!*Smirk*



© Copyright 2009 ShiShad (UN: shishad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
ShiShad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/629096-High-and-dry-here