*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/629704-People-Who-Cant-Afford-Their-Medicine
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1508897
Blogging/Journaling/Complaining on an entirely inconsistent basis.
#629704 added February 8, 2009 at 4:47pm
Restrictions: None
People Who Can't Afford Their Medicine
Last year about this time I was standing in line at the pharmacy waiting to get several prescriptions.  The lady in front of me was probably 50-years-old or so and trying to get the medicines that she and her husband need for the month.  I couldn't help but over hear the conversation and discovered that her husband had been laid off his factory job and she was a secretary at a local grade school.  Their insurance was through her husband and they, therefore, had no insurance.  I don't know what all her medicines cost because she was unable to get them all on that day due to lack of money.  I did hear that three of the prescriptions they were discussing just happened to be the three I was picking up for myself.  Because I have insurance I paid $24 for the three.  Her total for those three alone was $264.00.  What the other three cost exactly I can't remember, but she had to ask them to hold those until she got paid again in two weeks.

I have taught in a school for many years and I can tell you the secretaries don't make anything.  I would be surprised if they got minimum wage.  I know what I make after 37 years of teaching with a Masters plus 24 hours and I couldn't afford that.  I have never felt so helpless in my life.  I gave her $20 and told her it was because I was a retired teacher and appreciated people who worked in the schools.  OK, so I'm not retired, so what?  I just couldn't think of a decent thing to say to her.

Therefore, my question is--for I need help understanding it--why do these poor people have to pay so much for the very same stuff I get?

I understand that the drug companies have to pay for all of those revolting "when the moment is right" commercials, but what about the citizens in this country who have to pay so much for drugs that could not possibly be that expensive?  But, then why would our Senators and Representatives care?  As long as they and their families are living high on the hog, who cares?

Is there anything that we can do to help people like this?  Can Obama make a difference?  For people like this lady and for our military, I hope to God he can.  A sad day to be an American.


© Copyright 2009 Rixfarmgirl (UN: rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rixfarmgirl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/629704-People-Who-Cant-Afford-Their-Medicine