*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/629769
Rated: XGC · Book · Opinion · #1501776
May my opinions gather wind under their wings and fly, perchance to soar.
#629769 added January 15, 2009 at 2:02am
Restrictions: None
Abortion
PuppyTales believes that abortion is murder. Hope my response wasn't too harsh. I only realized after I left this comment in "Invalid Entry that she is only 17 (one of the real hassles of WDC; wish under 18 year old members had a different case color ... brown to orange, let's say.):

No, can't say I agree with you. There is disagreement as to when life begins and the State has the responsibility to all its citizens not only those who believe it begins with the seed (Read Leviticus re Onanism). This is a pluralistic society so the laws must be tolerant.

The comparison to Hitler/Jews and Hutu/Tutsi is weak. Both are obviously genocide of groups of living humans. There is no question as to that.

You believe that abortion = murder. Therefore, don't have one. But also consider never being on the pill or using an IUD. Do not use condoms to waste precious seed. These are personal choices you can make for yourself.

But it is a devastating issue for others, even for those who must choose. Thankfully, it is not my right to choose for them. I refuse that burden.

However, continue to write about what you believe. It is your Right.


Many people believe in absolute truth. That there is a right and a wrong that is encoded in some Sacred Writing (always theirs) that must be followed to the utmost detail and not wavered from.

I do not.

I believe that God exists to instruct the spiritual side of our existence as best we can understand. He/She (I do not assign gender to God) rules the Realm of Spiritual Existence. I can no more understand that Wholeness, being a part of it, than a single cell of my body can discern why I drank too much caffeine tonight.

I also believe that God has instructed us children through the Ages with more than one Sacred Writing. I emphatically state that the Bible is neither the first nor the last Revelation.

Keeping that in mind, I do believe that Life is to be cherished. And that the Holy Writings agree to a great extent.

However, the Bible doesn't always. In the Old Testament there is a constant warfare between MY G-D and your god and the slaughter of thousands who disagree. Furthermore, the Laws of the Tribe of Levi (as found in Leviticus) are extremely harsh, are not followed today and are only referred to when someone wants to beat up on someone else. Not good. Not very Christian either ... according to many Christians nowadays. WWJD? Jesus was very kind to prostitutes and others who needed healing. To Christians: if there is a New Testament teaching on abortion, please post it under comments and note who said it; the NT is not all Jesus' words.

As for Onanism ... it is a "spilling of seed". Think masturbation.

But back to abortion.

Do I like it? No. I think there are better ways of preventing pregnancy, abstinence among them. Unfortunately, "abstinence" as taught in the school systems across America doesn't lead to fewer pregnancies. And in many American societies, pregnancy is desirable before the age of 18.

And when DOES Life begin? Many groups, not just certain Christians believe "life" begins at conception. Others believe a child is only alive at birth. And there are groups in the U.S. who hold off naming a child until they know it will live. LIFE does not have only one definition.

If you are a woman you must choose for yourself or abide by the group you are a member of. In any case it can be a devastating choice physically and psychologically.

As a man I do not think I have the right to make that decision for you, blame you or heap guilt upon you.

As for the State: it must take a broader view than the most narrow members of certain groups. It is in the Society's best interest to promote tolerance, even when that tolerance is un-Godly in some folks eyes.
16

© Copyright 2009 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/629769