*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/630746-Jan-19-Jump-583-words
by Justyn
Rated: E · Book · Other · #1384124
Daily entries, inspired by 500-Word a day group
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#630746 added January 19, 2009 at 5:08pm
Restrictions: None
Jan 19-Jump 583 words
Jump....for my love. Jumpin....to feel your touch. Jump....lah lah lah lah lah for my love."

Stacy crooned the words to her favorite Vah Halen song, not really knowing or caring whether the words were correct. The song really fit her mood at the moment. New job, new dress to celebrate, and of course new shoes and a new purse to go with it (why on earth would you buy a new dress without springing for the accessories that matched, she wondered). Stacy felt like she was on top of the world. The job at the paper was just what she had always dreamed of. At last, she was getting the chance to be a reporter! She dreamed big, letting her daydream carry her farther and farther afield, until she could imagine herself reporting on major world news. Obviously, that would be some time coming, but Stacy was sure that if she worked hard and put her formidable skills at the forefront, it wouldn't take long to climb that ladder.

As she walked in the front door of the paper, Stacy stopped to breath in the reams of unprinted paper and the unmistakeable smell of ink. Things she had grown up around, and was overjoyed to be back amongst.

"Oh you're here, great! We've been waiting for you!" The lead secretary called to her as she walked down the hall.

Stacy's heart thrilled to hear those words. She was sure that there was no office waiting for her, yet, but maybe there was a cubicle with her name on it.

"You can put your things here for now," the secretary nodded to a chair out of the way. "Nice shoes, by the way!"

"Thanks! They were a celebratory gift to myself."

"I'm not sure they were the best choice, but they look great!" Stacy puzzled over the secretary's words as she followed her into a conference room.

"Ah, great, we can begin" a voice barked as they entered the room. Thrusting a paper at Stacy, he turned to the Power Point that was already set up. Stacy wondered if she was supposed to take notes on the meeting. That was probably it, she figured. How nice of the boss to want to get her up to speed! What a great company she was working for!

After a quick glance to the paper, Stacy was dismayed to read line after line of coffee and bagel orders. She looked in shock to the secretary, poised at the end of the long table with a steno pad at the ready.

"The coffee shop on the corner is the quickest, plus they will deliver it here. You can use my desk, dear, to place the order. That way, you won‘t have to make several trips back and forth." And with a turn of her head, the secretary's words of 'not the right shoes' came back to haunt Stacy.

Stacy stood rooted to the spot in shock for about fifteen seconds. Then, she sprung into action. Her very first action, after placing the coffee order of course, was to zip next door and buy the sneakers she had seen in the window. She may be just an errand girl right now, but she wouldn’t be forever. The only way to change that was to show her bosses that she could-and would-be the best darn errand girl they had ever seen. And if that meant losing her fancy new pumps for a comfy pair of sneak’s, then so be it.


© Copyright 2009 Justyn (UN: kjsleah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Justyn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/630746-Jan-19-Jump-583-words