*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/631849-Lesson-3-DT-3
by SWPoet
Rated: E · Book · Cultural · #1510995
Class assignments and poems prior to making them into separate items.
#631849 added January 31, 2009 at 11:57pm
Restrictions: None
Lesson 3-DT 3
LESSON-3

O'siyo

Lesson 3 Entry:

 Why Dog Chases His Tail  (E)
Find out why the dog chases his tail. Native American inspired story for NAI Class.
#1522255 by SWPoet


"Why Dog Chases His Tail"


DT-3

Discussion topic

1. What made you choose your story line? I wanted to show the frustration we white folks with rumored heritage face when trying to find out more about a different religion or way of life of our "supposed" ancestors and how our efforts sometimes end up awry and upsetting both sides. On a lighter note, the story ended up showing how we can't please everyone withuut hurting all sides and how sometimes we just need to bloom where we are planted instead of trying to be someone else.


2. Did it come from your own life's experiences? Yes, definitely lately. I wanted to show how difficult it is when others see you as not being serious or just being curious with no honest depth to their search for information about our ancestors. When this happens, we turn circles trying to reconcile the life we currently live with the culture we have some identification with and we end up feeling like a dog chasing his own tail. Some say you can't be one without renouncing the other, another teacher says you can take on attributes of both, another says if you choose the alternate religion you aren't welcome in the old one. You become a ship without a harbor. Is it any wonder that we don't go nuts trying to listen to other people tell us who we are and should be. I do think its interesting in the story how the Wolf is the only one that willingly told the dog what he needed to know without first making him go off on a self absorbed (for the wolf) mission to prove worthiness. For kids, I think the story could show the hazards of gossipping or playing someone against another as well as showing what happens if you use someone else to that end. The plan backfired for Rabbit and Fox as much as for the dog. I figure the reader can decide which role he or she is playing and what moral they get from it.


3. Did the stories above inspire this story that you wrote? Yes, the stories did inspire some of the attributes of the fox and rabbit. I haven't found as many fables about the dog and didn't want it to appear as if I were trying to be an expert at a culture I am somewhat new and inexperienced at knowing about. What really inspired me was the discussions we have been having about religion and spirituality on the student forum.

Wado,

Brandy
© Copyright 2009 SWPoet (UN: branhr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SWPoet has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/631849-Lesson-3-DT-3