*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/633850-Lesson-4-Totems
by SWPoet
Rated: E · Book · Cultural · #1510995
Class assignments and poems prior to making them into separate items.
#633850 added February 4, 2009 at 11:10pm
Restrictions: None
Lesson 4 Totems
Assignment:

1. Please read the meaning of the animals, then tell me what 'you' think your Totem animal/Spirit Guide is.
Turtle and Wolf.

2. Why do you think the animal you have chosen is your Spirit Guide/Totem ?

Based on the writings of Jamie Samms, I gravitated to the Turtle as a reminder of what I need to concentrate on in life.
I also gravitate toward the wolf (and dog)for what I tend to do (on a positive note) such as always learning and passing along what I have learned to others.   

3. What made you choose the animal that you chose ?
My mother, aunt and I collect turtle figurines or anything turtle.  The turtle was around me way before I knew what it was about, b/c of my family's love of turtle themes.  My aunt and I always end up buying each other turtle earrings or a candle with turtles on them. 

As for the wolf or dog, I have always felt I could look dogs in the eyes and see to their souls. They hold my gaze too and are not uncomfortable when doing so (though dogs often are not comfortable with eye contact).  I used to work at a vet and just felt they were kindred spirits in a way. Wolves just capture my curiosity and fascinate me in that they are okay alone for a time but also live in a pack and are very family oriented.

4. Would you say that it explains who you are? Or that you are drawn to it?
In some ways, the turtle reminds me to slow down and do one thing at a time instead of multitasking. It is a symbol of my goal to learn to quiet my soul and to step back and watch others and observe sometimes instead of quickly moving in to either help or join a conversation.  Its the proverbial string around the finger to remind me to watch myself before jumping in.  As for the wolf, I am always learning and if I overhear someone needing help with something I can help with, I cannot help but offer information or websites or help someone find something. 
There are other animals that remind me of something I need to work on or feel I am able to do better than some others.  however, the Turtle has been a steady one throughout my life just as a "totem" and perhaps as a spirit guide too.


Discussion Topic:Done-See thread

Tell each other what you have been drawn to other than animals during your life span so far up until this time in your life. You will be graded on this as well. Please students, this is a must. Wado!


three words
Yihowa = God
Elohino = Earth
Waya = Wolf



© Copyright 2009 SWPoet (UN: branhr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SWPoet has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/633850-Lesson-4-Totems