*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634056-The-Ice-Storm-from-Hell-Part-5
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1508897
Blogging/Journaling/Complaining on an entirely inconsistent basis.
#634056 added February 8, 2009 at 3:30pm
Restrictions: None
The Ice Storm from Hell Part 5
On Day 5 we learned via the radio that several places to the north had some generators for sale and we planned to go that way and look for one.  After we left home, we decided it would be crazy to go north where the damage was so much greater than here. We again headed south to Batesville.  We were primed to go as far south as Little Rock if we necessary.  Rick decided to try Home Depot again and I just laughed when we drove in and saw cars everywhere with briskly walking people hustling new generators out.

When we got inside we were told we had to have a number to get a generator.  I got a number.  I didn’t know if they had the generators in store or whether we were all just waiting for a truck to come in or what.  Then, I found out that if you had a number, you had a generator!  Sixty-one new Husky generators had arrived over night.  My lucky number was 58!  I couldn't believe it.  BINGO!  I also prepared myself for my usual kind of luck:  Through some strange inexplicable error, the last four would have vanished into outer space.
.
But, wait a minute, I thought, shouldn’t I ask about the size and price?  Nah, we're desperate.  As it turned out I discovered that they were all 5000 watts and all were $599.00.  We couldn't believe our good fortune.    WOW!  Home Depot had gotten them in three times and had not gone up on the price to try and make extra money in a crisis like most other merchants had done.  We were just blown away.  My hat’s off to Home Depot.  They had just acquired a new customer for life.  Later, Rick consulted the internet to see what an exact duplicate of our generator was priced and found they regularly sold for $670.  There REALLY are Angels in this world, Virginia.

When we arrived back home and got the generator started, we could run the freezer, television, refrigerator, computers, recharge the cell phones and use the microwave.  Could Heaven be any better?  We rotated the generator to two items at a time trying not to overload.  Not knowing much about generators, we didn't want to destroy it.

Generators are not quiet machines.  I wish I could create an appropriate onomatopoeia to describe the noise, but let’s just say they are LOUD.  What we enjoyed most after the creature comforts of the generator did, indeed, involve creatures.  The noise kept our creatures off the front porch.  We were actually able to open the front door and go outside without having to kick or yell at the dogs, cats, and guineas.

Thus, ended a magnificent, thrilling day.  Please note that I did not say the day was electrifying!  Day 5, Out!


© Copyright 2009 Rixfarmgirl (UN: rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rixfarmgirl has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634056-The-Ice-Storm-from-Hell-Part-5