*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634811-Exposing-Anonimity
Rated: 13+ · Book · Opinion · #1254599
Exploring the future through the present. One day at a time.
#634811 added February 8, 2009 at 11:23pm
Restrictions: None
Exposing Anonimity
partyof5 (aka: Svetlana) discussed a friend who's heart may have been manipulated (and destroyed) by someone who wasn't who she claimed to be. (See "Invalid Entry)

Others commented on why they remain anonymous online -- to protect their name.

I used to think the same way. Since I published a novella and started my own website in the hopes of gaining more readers, I decided to splatter my name wherever I could. My name is my business, and needs to be exposed in order to be remembered. I could have made up a name, but my real name is memorable and -- duct-taping humility's voice -- elegant. Perfect for an author.

But does my name reveal everything there is to know about me? Not hardly. It doesn't reveal my heart, my soul, my favorite fruit, how much I weigh, my social security or credit card numbers. I still retain a large portion of my anonymity. Sure an internet search will reveal my address, but if someone wants to drop by with ill intent, be prepared to meet my little friend manufactured by Ruger.

Diligence is always called for whether my name is "out there" or not. As partyof5 (aka: Svetlana) described what happened to his buddy, what others on this site alone have gone through, it's always prudent to keep a sharp eye out for inconsistencies.

Six months after I signed up here, I made friends with a young girl. I thought she was incredibly intelligent and her writing ability left me in awe. This girl was going places, and I wanted to help her along.

A few months later she claimed to have leukemia and would only live five more years. A few things about her story didn't add up (including the five-year life span), but I ignored them. She then claimed one day she would kill herself, and I drove myself insane trying to find and stop her. She revealed enough about herself such as her hometown, her first and last name, and her birthday. My husband called the police in her town, and after a few hours they tracked her down.

She lied about everything.

Her reason I found out later was as susanL (aka: Herb) described: the need for attention and sympathy from others.

A fourteen-year old girl snookered me.

I was so embarrassed I almost removed my account here.

And she only knew my first name.

Name anonymity gives us only partial protection. We need to protect our heart even more.

© Copyright 2009 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/634811-Exposing-Anonimity