*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/636916-Dont-Panic
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#636916 added May 21, 2013 at 4:49am
Restrictions: None
Don't Panic
I was getting my lunch the other day, running late as usual, when the telephone rang. I picked up the receiver and said hello. There was a pause, then a little voice said...

'Hi Nanna.'

'Hi Angel. What are you doing?'

'Hi Nanna.'

'Hi Angel. Are you okay?'

'Hi Nanna.'

'Hi Angel. Where's Mummy?'

'Mummy...burble...gibber...baby...jabber...Hi Nanna.'

'Okay sweety, I got to go now. See you soon. Love you.'

I returned to buttering my sandwich when the phone rang again.

'Hi Nanna.'

'Hi Angel.'

'Hi Nanna.'

'Hi Angel. Is Mummy there?'

'Mummy...babble....chatter...baby...gabble...Hi Nanna.'

'Okay sweety. I must go. You be good. Love You.'

I return to my half-made sandwich, which is starting to curl up at the edges by now and then - you guessed it - the phone rings again.

'Hi Nanna.'

'Hi Angel.'

'Hi Nanna.'

'Hi Angel. Is Mummy okay?'

'Mummy...ramble...blether...baby...mumble...Hi Nanna.'

'Okay Sweety. Put the phone down now. See you soon. Love You.'

My stomach is starting to think my throat has been cut by this time and I feel a bit mean when I leave the phone off the hook so I can finish getting my lunch. But as I start slicing the cheese I realise I could hear Dylan gurgling and the hum of the television in the background during these calls, but nothing of Mey Ling. Most unusual. My worst scenario head takes over and I have her lying helpless on the kitchen floor, passed out cold by the washing line or even worse at the bottom of the stairs. *Shock*

I wouldn't enjoy my sandwich with such concerns in my bonce so decide to call back and surely Mey Ling will answer the phone. Ring Ring.

'Hi Nanna.'

'Hi Angel.'

'Hi Nanna.'

'Hi Angel. Can you get Mummy to come to the phone?'

'Mummy...jabber...gurgle...baby...babble...Hi Nanna.'

By this time alarm bells are ringing. I don't wish to disturb Paul at work, so decide to phone hubby on his mobile as he's out on one of his very infrequent golf rounds. It's switched off. *Pthb*

When he gets home I tell him the tale and he phones Paul at work. Paul phones his home then phones us back to say everything is okay; Mey Ling was asleep, that's all. Excuse me if I'm a little paranoid and yes, I do know about jet lag, but going to sleep and leaving a two-year-old and a six-month-old baby unsupervised is not something I can say I approve of. I guess I'll just have to believe that they were all napping together and the kids just happened to wake up first. That, and the fact I'm a worry wart.

Parenthood drives us crazy with the responsibility and anxiety. We nurture them to become adults, then along comes grandparenthood. In a way I'm glad I won't be around to have to endure greatgrandparenthood.


© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/636916-Dont-Panic