*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/637246-February-2009-The-Groundhog
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Shaara
Rated: ASR · Book · Fantasy · #1531809
These are the Newsletters I have written so far for Writing.com.
#637246 added June 18, 2009 at 7:53am
Restrictions: None
February, 2009: The Groundhog
February Main Section


Everyone has heard of the groundhog. He’s famous, or at least one groundhog is, Punxy Phil, the inhabitant of a library – believe it or not. How did a mere woodchuck, a squirrel-like mammal who usually dines on dandelions and grass rise to stardom? How did this particular fuzzy, little guy end up feasting on dog food and ice cream with a job that last about five minutes once a year. (Boy that’s a job I gladly take.)

In truth, according to the article at http://www.stormfax.com/ghogday.htm, Punxy Phil got a lot of power from a a combination of fantastical tales: First, the Indians called the woodchuck (Wojak) “Grandfather.” Second, because of a holiday called Candlemas Day (which derives from an older holy day called Imbolc. the idea of one day which kind of tipped us into springtime became a day of festival. See the following sites for more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbolc and http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7280/imbolc.html Third from a diary, which names our lucky little beast. (“February 4, 1841 - from Morgantown, Berks County (Pennsylvania) storekeeper James Morris' diary...’Last Tuesday, the 2nd, was Candlemas day, the day on which, according to the Germans, the Groundhog peeps out of his winter quarters and if he sees his shadow he pops back for another six weeks nap, but if the day be cloudy he remains out, as the weather is to be moderate.’ (http://www.stormfax.com/ghogday.htm)

Take a look at the following web site if you are still curious about the world’s smallest weather forecaster. This site even has a recipe for Groundhog Cookies, although I really can’t see what makes them Groundhoggish: http://www.groundhog.org/ For teachers and/or parents, the following is a delightful site for its tantalizing science: http://www.groundhogs.com/

Now what does all this have to do with a Fantasy/Science Fiction Newsletter? Blink twice, rotate your neck, spin three times, and THINK. It is the customs of a location that really make a story seem real. What if a faraway world celebrates not a badger, as they watched prior to the groundhog, nor snakes, as they eyed their predawn crawls in other lands, but a Swinderlobe that rises from the caverns of the deep to growl and pounce on the fatted calf of spring. Or maybe the Swinderlobe arrives in the dark of night. Do the townspeople cheer him or cower? Does he arrive to hurl the night into winter? Does he foretell the coming of storms, the arrival of noxious airflow, or is he the herald of danger?

What is the history behind the critter that rises from the shadows? Was he once a being like the others? Is there a tale that relates his fall from grace, a song people sing to remind all of the evils of bathing, looking up at the stars, or dining on the forbidden tomato? To write the tragedy, the romance, the the holiday, the customs and rites that this tale brings is the source of many a really good story.

Which brings me to the
M o n t h l y Challenge.


Write a story or poem (2,000 words or less) in which you have created a Groundhog inspired tradition that takes place in your science fiction or fantasy world. This could be a chapter in your newest book or a stand-alone work of fiction. Either way, please send it to me so I can give you a review and, if I’m duly impressed, a feature in my March Fantasy Newsletter.


© Copyright 2009 Shaara (UN: shaara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shaara has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/637246-February-2009-The-Groundhog