*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/637808-Tips-for-Entering-Contests
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1253251
dreams, thoughts, and wanderings
#637808 added February 26, 2009 at 2:20pm
Restrictions: None
Tips for Entering Contests
Entering contests is a great way to improve your writing and gain exposure for your work. A contest prompt may be just the inspiration you need to break out of writer's block.  Here are some tips on entering WDC contests from a long time member and owner of three contests.

Read the Rules
Make sure you are eligible.  Most contests are open to everyone, but a few are restricted to members of certain groups.

Pay special attention to word limits, rating requirements, and deadlines. Nobody wants to put time and effort into creating a good entry, only to have it disqualified because of a technicality.

If the contest has a prompt make sure your story follows it.

Take note of other requirements as well.  Does the contest require newly written items or can you submit something you already have?  Are items that have already won awards accepted?  Will you be allowed to edit your item once you have submitted it?  How are you supposed to post your entry?

If you have read the rules and still have questions, don't be afraid to email the contest owner or judge.

Most of us don't bite and are happy to answer questions. If the rules of my contests aren't clear, I want to know about it. I'm sure most contest owners feel the same way.

Look at the list of past winners

This will give you an idea of the type of entries the contest is looking for.

Proofread your entry carefully before you post it.

Running a spelling and grammar check only takes a few minutes and is worth the time. If the judge is having trouble deciding between two entries, a few typos might make all the difference.

If possible, have a friend review it for you.  Another reader can often catch mistakes that the author doesn't notice.

After you have posted your entry, check the contest forum to make sure it shows up.

More than one person has had a contest entry disappear into the Twilight Zone because they forgot to hit "submit".

Give the judges time to review before inquiring about your entry.

Reviewing and judging contest entries takes time. Most contest judges have jobs, kids, school, or other real world responsibilities.

Read and review other entries.

Part of the reason for entering contests is to get exposure for your work and the best way to get reviews is to give them.  You will learn just as much from other contestants as you will from the judges.  You might even make some new friends.

If you win, say thank you.

Like everyone else, contest owners love to know they are appreciated.

If you don't win, don't be discouraged.

If you don't win, it doesn't mean your entry wasn't any good.  Only a few entries can win, and sometimes the difference between winning and losing entries is extremely small.  Some contests get over forty entries in a month, but can only afford to give prizes to two or three.  Remember, there's always another contest and there's always the next round.  If you were motivated to write something new, you are a winner no matter what!

© Copyright 2009 Arakun the Twisted Raccoon (UN: arakun at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Arakun the Twisted Raccoon has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/637808-Tips-for-Entering-Contests