*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/640637-Entry-One---March-16th
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1537666
This is for a contest.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#640637 added March 16, 2009 at 1:51pm
Restrictions: None
Entry One - March 16th
Entry 1





I remember the day I left home, three years ago. The apartment had been quiet in the early morning and the city outside felt dead, absent of human life. The fact that it was so easy to walk out, taking their car keys with me, made me hate my foster parents even more. They would just pretend nothing was wrong, like always. I knew they would be happier when I was not there.


I stepped onto the platform outside the door, looking out for a moment at the city that stretched out below and above me, shiny metal and thousands of glass windows all around. No cars flew around that little neighborhood so early, but from as high up as I was I could see the traffic that filled the city farther in.


“Kaia,” a soft voice said from behind me.


I turned around. My younger sister stood in the doorway wearing her nightgown, her bright orange hair blowing around her small face.


“Go back to bed, Tori, it’s early,” I said.


“Will you come back?” she asked.


“I don’t know,” I said to her. “But I will see you again, Tori, I promise.”


She ran out onto the platform towards me and I held her tight, just for a second.


If I had known she would be in danger there, I never would have left her.



© Copyright 2009 Ilana Shayn (UN: ilana_shayn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ilana Shayn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/640637-Entry-One---March-16th