*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/641134-Drive-By-Book-Review
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#641134 added March 18, 2009 at 9:53pm
Restrictions: None
Drive By Book Review...
Well, I picked up two books: another Jillian Hunter, "The Seduction of an English Scoundrel" and Alison Weir's "The Children of Henry VIII." I'm on a 9 day stretch at work and it's day 2. Another 7 to go! I did it to myself. My sister is coming to visit for a week on 25 Mar and I wanted the time off. Anyhoo...I just finished this book review and I thought I'd share with you:

Book Review for “The Six Wives of Henry VIII”
Written by: Alison Weir
Ballantine Books
ISBN: 0-345-38072
642 pages
$12.50
5 Stars

Weir weaves a suspenseful tale of lies, mistrust and greed as she examines how Henry VIII treated his wives. Each woman had their own distinct style – Katherine of Aragon was elegant, Anne Boleyn was haughty, Jane Seymour was humble, Anne of Cleaves appeasing, Katherine Howard dared to cuckold the king, and Katherine Parr was nurturing. Weir takes the reader on a delicious romp through English history, telling each lady’s story and their impact on the Tudor legacy. History comes alive, breathing new life into Henry’s story due to Weir’s masterful storytelling.

Weir begins with Katherine of Aragon, outlining her regal background and how she came to be married to Henry after having married Henry’s brother, Arthur. Arthur died only months into the marriage and left Katherine a widow for seven years before Henry married her. Sadly, Katherine was only able to give Henry a daughter, Mary. Henry is determined to leave the Tudor dynasty a male heir and almost heartlessly discard Katherine in middle age to marry Anne Boleyn. Katherine died a lonely death in 1536.

Unfortunately for Anne Boleyn, she’s not able to give Henry a male heir. After having a healthy daughter, Elizabeth, Anne has a series of miscarriages. Henry has his court trump up charges of witchcraft and adultery against Anne and she’s beheaded. Almost immediately, Henry married Jane Seymour.

Jane presents herself as humble and agreeable to Henry. Sadly, she dies giving birth to Henry’s only living son. Henry gets married again to try and have children, but Anne of Cleaves doesn’t appeal to him. Smartly, Anne takes his offer of divorce after six months of marriage.

Henry’s infidelities tormented Katherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn, but he discovered that his young wife and queen, Katherine Howard had cheated on him, she goes to axe. Old and almost feeble now, Katherine Howard wounded his male pride in a manner that Henry never recovered from.

Katherine Parr walked a thin line with the king. She had a tendency to be outspoken which she had to learn to curb so as not to incite Henry’s anger.

Weir’s story is the brilliant tale of six dynamic women who dared to marry Henry. Her writing is crisp. It’s easy to understand all the complex dynamics in play. Weir’s book is full of juicy details that can’t be found in classroom history book; indeed her book is an excellent compliment to traditional classroom books. “The Six Wives of Henry VIII” is a delicious, sinful read that’s hard to put down.

© Copyright 2009 StephBee - House Targaryen (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - House Targaryen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/641134-Drive-By-Book-Review