*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/639603-Book-Review-for-The-Wicked-Games-of-a-Gentleman
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#639603 added March 9, 2009 at 5:07pm
Restrictions: None
Book Review for The Wicked Games of a Gentleman
I'm very busy hanging out in the PR Forum today at the Angel Army and trying to catch up on some of my writing. Here's a recent book review I'd like to share. Any other Jillian Hunter fans out there? Can to share? What was your latest Jillian Hunter book you read? Love to hear your thoughts. I really enjoyed this book and I'd love to read more.

Smiles,
Steph

***************

Book Review for: “The Wicked Games of a Gentleman”
Written by: Jillian Hunter
Ivy Books/Random House
ISBN: 0-345-48760-5
371 pages
$6.99
5 Stars



Hunter plunges the reader into the Regency period of England in this deliciously sinful romance, “The Wicked Games of a Gentleman.” This novel is a continuation of her Boscastle series. Drake Boscastle is a scoundrel who has everything – money, good looks, and charm. However, he believes he’s incapable of love until he meets a woman who challenges him in ways he never thought possible. Hunter’s pacing never lets up. “The Wicked Games of a Gentleman” is a gem of a romance that’s hard to put down.

The novel starts with Drake planning to meet famed courtesan, Maribella St. Ives. Before he does, he attends a party and immediately becomes involved in a scandal when he’s unwittingly drawn into a duel against his cousin, Gabriel. As Drake stalls for time, he meets Eloise Goodwin, a ladies’ companion who has temporarily lost her charge, Thalia Thornton. Drake coaxes Eloise into a dance and they share a spontaneous kiss. Drake then leaves to meet Maribella, but his mind lingers on Eloise. His evening with Maribella is spoiled when Gabriel shows up with Eloise. Eloise asks Drake for his help in finding Thalia. He agrees to help, leaving Maribella.

The next morning, Eloise discovers her employer, Lord Thornton, has left, due to his gambling debts. She’s got her hands full trying to manage the house, keep the creditors at bay, and finding Thalia.

Drake, to his chagrin, finds himself irrevocably drawn to Eloise. She’s beautiful and clever, two traits he can’t resist. To win points with Eloise, Drake finds Thalia and brings her home, ignoring Maribella. Eloise thanks him appropriately, but Drake steals not only a kiss, but intimate caresses as well – caresses which Eloise simply can’t resist.

Soon Drake finds himself spending more and more time with Eloise. Maribella creates a bit of a stir when she leaves Drake, but its Drake’s family that threatens his growing romance with Eloise. After an old boyfriend comes into Eloise’s life and attempts to blackmail her, she agrees to let Drake be her protector. Their physical consummation is all consuming. Drake wants to make Eloise his wife, but is apprehensive about his family will react.

Hunter writes in a third person omniscient point of view, changing perspectives with no clear line breaks or divisions. This is known as a “Lonesome Dove,” perspective and most professional editors discourage it, but the romance genre is very forgiving of it. The story moves fluidly. Drake, Eloise, and the supporting cast are likable and interesting. Hunter’s dialogue is crisp and sharp. Her descriptions put the reader in the moment, and her love scenes are vividly passionate. The story’s ending gives the reader rich satisfaction. “The Wicked Games of a Gentleman” is one romance that can’t be put aside easily.


A pic of me taken 2 years ago.
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.

Visit the:
FORUM
Angel Product Reviews  (ASR)
Learn all about doing product reviews for WDC and earn merit badges for your effort! Fun!
#1209679 by iKïyå§ama


The Wolf's Torment   (Rated: 18+)
ASIN: 0595417337
ID #109870
Product Type: Book
Reviewer: Stephanie Grace
Review Rated: 18+
  Setting:
  Story Plot:
  Length of :
  Overall Quality:
Amazon's Price: $ 77.10




© Copyright 2009 StephBee - GOT Survivor (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - GOT Survivor has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/639603-Book-Review-for-The-Wicked-Games-of-a-Gentleman