*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/641479-Entry-Three---March-21st
Rated: 13+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1537666
This is for a contest.
#641479 added March 21, 2009 at 12:07pm
Restrictions: None
Entry Three - March 21st
Entry 3





I was remembering a day from a long time ago, when my parents were still there. Tori was running through the park, laughing at the butterflies that flew from flower to flower. There was brilliant color everywhere. My mother had made a picnic, and we sat on a faded yellow blanket, watching the people all around us that were having a great time. It was such a beautiful day, not a cloud in the vibrant blue sky.


I laughed in delight to find that my mother had brought chocolate covered strawberries, my all-time favorite. Mother smiled at me.


“Today is a special day and I want it to be wonderful for you and your sister.”


“Why is it special?” I asked. She had woken us up early, the perfect day all planned out. Dad did not come. I knew that there was something they weren’t telling us from the look they gave each other before we went out the door. And even now I could tell that my mother’s happy mood was hiding something, her smile did not reach her deep green eyes.


“Because, Kaia, it is one of the few days I have left to show you two how much I love you.”


“What do you mean?” I asked. That made no sense to me. Mother and Father showed their love to us every day, all the time.


“Try a strawberry, Kaia,” was all she replied.


I picked one out of the box they were in and took a big bite, taking all the chocolate off and leaving a little bit of the fruit connected to the leafy part at the top. The juice leaked out the corners of my mouth, sticky and sweet. It was delicious.


“Was it good?” Mother asked, laughing at the way I had eaten it.


“Yes!” I said. “Thank you, Mother.”


“Just remember that I love you, Kaia, no matter what,” she said.






© Copyright 2009 Ilana Shayn (UN: ilana_shayn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ilana Shayn has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/641479-Entry-Three---March-21st