*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/641776-SUICIDE-A-DISEASE-WITHOUT-CURE
Rated: E · Book · Opinion · #1508363
My thoughts, all serious, on important issues and events.
#641776 added March 23, 2009 at 6:40am
Restrictions: None
SUICIDE: A DISEASE WITHOUT CURE?
SUICIDE: A DISEASE WITHOUT CURE?


[A brief, quick comment on suicide.]








INFORMATION--





(Times of India, Delhi, 23 March 2009)





A—Yashveer Singh, a 28 year old computer operator in Delhi shot himself dead after his girlfriend married another.





B—Amit Singh from Patna, employed as a salesman for a well known private company, son of a senior officer with Food Corporation of India, along with Mamta, 23, a teacher in a school and daughter of a small time fruit seller, put fire to themselves. Amit died, Mamta is unlikely to survive. They feared their parents would not approve of their marriage because their caste and socio-economic backgrounds were very different.








COMMENTS—





1—The news are sad, but not unusual. It has been happening and will continue to happen.





2—WHAT IS THE CAUSE?—Some humans have a behavior pattern characterized by lack of will or capacity to accept or improve fate. Determinants of such behavior are obviously environmental, but may also be, to an extent, genetically determined. Such behavior pattern is conducive to suicide.





3—WHAT IS THE REMEDY?—Only environmental factors might be amenable to modification. The efforts may be two pronged:





A—Efforts to sensitise and motivate the the opinion makers and centres of authority in the society appropriately so that they appreciate the need for tolerance and moderation and change accordingly. Examples of such efforts: Writings and discourses by leaders in the society; legislation; Appropriate content in educational curriculum, etc.





B – Efforts to identify early, through appropriate markers, the mentally stressed persons and provide timely support to them. This would involve: Strengthening appropriately the concerned societal institutions, including the family; Strengthening mental healthcare mechanisms.





4—DO SUICIDES MEAN AUTOMATIC WEEDING OUT OF THOSE INDIVIDUALS FROM THE SOCIETY WHOSE SURVIVAL CAPACITY IS UNDERMINED?—Maybe, but that can never be the rationale for turning a blind eye to suicide. Each suicide is a tragedy and loss not only to the concerned individual and the family but also the society at large.








M C Gupta


23 March 2009



© Copyright 2009 Dr M C Gupta (UN: mcgupta44 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Dr M C Gupta has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/641776-SUICIDE-A-DISEASE-WITHOUT-CURE